This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is hyper threading really expensive to implement?

#11PhilOnDezPosted 7/5/2014 12:31:34 PM
Intel completely solders off the extra/defective cores, at least they have since they started with the core i series. Not sure about older stuff.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#12AsucaHayashiPosted 7/5/2014 12:33:55 PM
Yeah. Sometimes they even intentionally burn out fully functional chips so they can be sold as a lower end model if there is more demand for the lower end chips.

wow...
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#13Lemur_HPosted 7/5/2014 12:34:48 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
Yeah. Sometimes they even intentionally burn out fully functional chips so they can be sold as a lower end model if there is more demand for the lower end chips.

wow...

Probably easier to sell hundreds of cheaper chips than a few higher end chips.
#14Orestes417Posted 7/5/2014 12:36:48 PM
Lemur_H posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

wow...

yup. supply and demand.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#15AsucaHayashiPosted 7/5/2014 12:47:24 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Lemur_H posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

wow...

yup. supply and demand.

the thing is that they're intentionally diminishing their own quality products just so they can lower its "value" and price it accordingly.

great for business i'm sure, but man... i wouldn't mind like a $200 i7 chip either as opposed to sabotaging it and making it a $200 i5 instead just because.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#16Orestes417Posted 7/5/2014 1:01:18 PM
Price stratification. Most manufacturer's do it.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#17MaxCHEATER64Posted 7/5/2014 5:39:59 PM
Protip to TC: The whole "cost of labor equals cost to consumer" method of economics died once consumerism started in the 1940s, and had its grave marked when automated factories became popular.
The cost difference of two different products is 100% about how much the consumer would be willing to pay for it, literally nothing else matters. I bet you that it costs $0.0001 more to make an i7 compared to an i5, but it's $100+ more because Intel knows that people will buy it for that price.

---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003