This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Severe Internet issues since returning from vacation. Please help with diagnosis

#1SpringerPosted 7/5/2014 4:02:43 PM
I went on a 7-day honeymoon, and my father-in-law stayed at our place. Not only did the Internet not work when we returned, but the furnace was broken, Chromecast doesn't work at all, and my car makes a terrible noise.

I returned to ~100 windows showing this message: http://imgur.com/WCdrsTl
No big deal, I thought. I will just turn off the router, and modem, and then turn the modem back on, and then the router back on.

Success! Or so I thought. The next day, my wife informed me that the Internet was still not working.

Today, I finally managed to get my Chromecast to work by a fluke. Normally, it cycles through beatuiful pictures, but now, it does not do this anymore. In fact, it shows 1 picture, and then the TV will go black, but it does indicate that it's receiving a signal. When I unplug it, it says "No Signal" on the TV, and I restart it. It shows 1 beautiful picture, and then goes black again.
When the Chromecast failed, so did our Internet.

It said we were connected, but we certainly were not. I unplugged everything, then re-plugged them in, and it said that I DID NOT have Internet connection, but I actually COULD browse online. Weird, I know.
The Internet is patchy at best. Today, I was trying to stream, and Shockwave plug-in failed. I had to restart everything to see if it would fix the problem.
When I came to reddit, it took a hell of a long time to load.

What can I do to help you help me?
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#2zerodefectPosted 7/5/2014 4:14:34 PM
Im sorry but I don't think anyone here can work miracles. Best advice I can offer is DO NOT let your father-in-law stay at your place any longer.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#3Springer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 4:19:27 PM
I was wondering would suggest a system restore, or is great with routers and could help me out with settings.
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#4Jprime666Posted 7/5/2014 4:24:56 PM
I think he's telling you that he doesn't like you.
---
Fragrance of Dark Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k
#5ChromaticAngelPosted 7/5/2014 5:29:56 PM
I would just back up any data you want to preserve manually with an external HDD and format your computer. put a password on it, and don't give the password to your father in law.
---
I am your savior. I am corruption. I am the angel, of your destruction.
I am perversion. Secret desire. I am your future, swallowed up in fire.
#6Reichmaster01Posted 7/5/2014 5:32:54 PM
Jprime666 posted...
I think he's telling you that he doesn't like you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBA8CZUWUR0
#7Springer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 6:10:14 AM
Please help.

I did a system restore. I tried plugging the ethernet directly into the modem after the problem happened again. It didn't work. http://imgur.com/dL9XGd7
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#8SpazH3dPosted 7/8/2014 6:15:09 AM
Your father-in-law is a butthole and should pay for the damages. Don't be overbearing just because you're "family".
---
- My vision is augmented
#9JockoPosted 7/8/2014 6:30:58 AM
Your dumb ass father in law infected you computer with one or more viruses and the damage has already been done. Backup all your stuff and reformat your computer. Factory reset your modem and router and start over. Step 2 Build a strong resentment towards your father in law and never let him near your stuff again.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#10Renraku_SanPosted 7/8/2014 9:02:11 AM
Have you tested internet connectivity from other devices (laptop, tablet, phone, etc). If those work with no issues, then the problem lies within that specific computer. If the other devices do not work, then your internet connectivity as a whole is having issues (call your ISP for help).

As far as backing up and reformatting, you may simply move the problem to the new install. By backing up infected data, it will be back as soon as you load it up on the new system. It's best to completely format and start over, sucks.
---
"Free the herb, heal the nation, heal the sick." -Black Uhuru