This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best classic CRPGs? (mid-late '90s)

#1jestsman5ianPosted 7/5/2014 4:18:39 PM
Well I just beat Fallout 1. I have to say I love that type of game and the gameplay. It was my first classic CRPG and really proved addicting (I beat the game in a week while just playing after work). Not to mention I love the story and the setting.

Any other games like this I should check out? I'm really looking for unique and interesting stories or settings along with similar gameplay. I'm not looking for late '80s or early '90s games as those are just too much for me to handle.

So, what games should I be looking into?
#2ChromaticAngelPosted 7/5/2014 4:21:27 PM(edited)
Fallout 2, obviously, also try Jagged Alliance 1 and 2, all of them are available on GOG.

You may also want to play Wasteland and Wasteland 2.

edit: also anything from Spiderweb Software, their entire catalog is available on GOG. Avernum, Avadon, Geneforge, Nethergate: Resurrection
---
I am your savior. I am corruption. I am the angel, of your destruction.
I am perversion. Secret desire. I am your future, swallowed up in fire.
#3jestsman5ian(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 4:29:53 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
Fallout 2, obviously, also try Jagged Alliance 1 and 2, all of them are available on GOG.

You may also want to play Wasteland and Wasteland 2.

edit: also anything from Spiderweb Software, their entire catalog is available on GOG. Avernum, Avadon, Geneforge, Nethergate: Resurrection

I don't think I can handle Wasteland 1 but Wasteland 2 is definitely on my radar.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I will definitely look into all of them.

Just to be clear, I'm not only looking for post-apocalyptic or modern setting games. Fantasy is fine with me (I apologize if the other ones you mentioned are fantasy, haven't looked yet).
#4Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 7/5/2014 4:31:53 PM
Avernum: Escape From the Pit is very good. I recommend it.
#5ChromaticAngelPosted 7/5/2014 4:32:30 PM
Ame_no_Murakumo posted...
Avernum: Escape From the Pit is very good. I recommend it.

I spent over 50 hours on just this game. It's crazy good.
---
I am your savior. I am corruption. I am the angel, of your destruction.
I am perversion. Secret desire. I am your future, swallowed up in fire.
#6ElDudorinoPosted 7/5/2014 4:32:39 PM
My absolute favorite is Planescape: Torment. Baldur's Gate 2 is also pretty good, though you might want to play through the original first. A lot of people love the original Baldur's Gate as well. I think Temple of Elemental Evil came out in the 2000s but you might want to look into that one as well.

I don't know if Dark Sun: Shattered Lands is too oldschool for you but I absolutely love that game to pieces. In a lot of ways Fallout actually reminds me of it. It's actually kind of like AD&D meets Fallout.
#7r7gerrabbitPosted 7/5/2014 4:34:38 PM
Planescape Torment
---
Sig.
#8NingishzidaPosted 7/5/2014 4:42:17 PM
Fallout 2 is the obvious next step, the depth of Fallout 2 can be appreciated more if you played Fallout, because of the myriad references to the first game.

Planescape: Torment
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
Temple of Elemental Evil
Baldur's Gate series
Icewind Dale series
Jagged alliance 2
Fallout: Tactics

If you liked Fallout, you'll probably like all of those^, too
#9jestsman5ian(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 6:18:24 PM
Thanks guys. This gives me a good list to research.
#10pwnater777Posted 7/5/2014 6:40:01 PM(edited)
*EDIT: This game is not from the 90s, but the graphics, design of the game, and the gameplay all make it very easy to fit in with the RPGs of the 90s.*

If you enjoyed Fallout 1, you may enjoy NEO Scavenger. It's an early access game, so that miiiiight make you weary of buying it if you're one of those people, but I recommend it so far. It's a lot like one of the original Fallout games, but more difficult and takes a lot of trial/error. It's sort of a Fallout/Don't Starve blend, but unfortunately at this stage of the early access, the devs haven't begun focusing on story as much as the bare essentials for the game to be at least fun. Luckily though, the developers have a website that surveys what the fans find most important to add to the game, and more of a storyline is a very requested thing, so expect more of a plot soon. It's one of my most played Steam games, and with very good reason.

Here's my Steam review of the game, which goes more into detail:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197997970731/recommended/248860/
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe