This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which to get, Heroes of Might and Magic 5 or 6?

#11alsroboshackPosted 7/5/2014 6:35:19 PM
6 has Uplay. 5 doesn't.
---
some people treat life as a game,
some people treat games as life.
#12Darkcloud20Posted 7/5/2014 6:48:05 PM
5 is better. A lot of the difficulty in the single player of 6 comes from the game pretty much expecting you to skill heroes a certain way. Which often is not the one that would seem the most sensible.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#13SiegaltPosted 7/5/2014 6:54:15 PM
I actually liked 6 much more than 5. While 5 has some mechanics that were kept from 3 (which is considered the best entry in the series by many), I really disliked the leveling system and the infinitely stupid story, writing and dialogues.
I found 6 a more flexible game and more fun to play once you get the hang of it.
---
"By the time you bought your new jeans, I already made mine into shorts"
#14HighOnPhazonPosted 7/5/2014 9:59:52 PM
jedinat posted...
Worst franchise ever. Magic! Heroes! Strategy! Seems fun and then you try it out to find it's the most tedious and shallow game ever. Three times with 3 different entries.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is one of the best PC games ever.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#15TowerBooks3192Posted 7/5/2014 10:52:39 PM
Do we need anything after 3?

Between 5 and 6 I reckon I will choose 5 as it is available without DRM off GOG. My only problem is it takes 5ever(yes more than forever!) for a turn to resolve in very huge random maps. The thing I really hate about 6 is the lack of random map generator and Uplay. You can only access some features like dynasty items or something when you are online.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#16Chaos_MissilePosted 7/6/2014 12:09:23 AM
jedinat posted...
Worst franchise ever. Magic! Heroes! Strategy! Seems fun and then you try it out to find it's the most tedious and shallow game ever. Three times with 3 different entries.

Alot of FPS games are also shallow and tedious and highly repetative.

On topic: in a sense, it is a spiritiual successor to 3. To be precise, it is much more similar to 3 in term of gameplay: unit lineup, choice of factions.

However, Ubisoft did make it so that each faction has different mechanics unique to them: Necro has the always welcome Necromancy, Towe- I mean Academy can craft items to enhance your units, Inferno has the Gating ability, which is essentially reinforcements etc.

I would personally pick 5 over 6 because of just one reason: 6 has an always-online requirement, with the way they implemented the items you can equip.

Also, 6, from what I understand, has a more similar Unit Level system to Heroes 4, which is a mixed bag amongst the fandom.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#17Reichmaster01Posted 7/6/2014 3:16:54 PM
Spidey555 posted...
well been thinking of getting might and magic x as well.
Might and Magic X is turn based correct?

Correct
#18kelemvorPosted 7/6/2014 7:10:27 PM
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was obviously the peak of the series. It has so much content I'm not sure it's worth trying the newer titles unless you are just dying for a new turn-based tactical strategy game. Admittedly, there really aren't any options for PC Gamers except maybe XCOM and HoMM6. Handhelds get all the tactical strategy games for some reason I don't understand.

HoMM4 wasn't as horrible as people say. It was kind of interesting having to choose the upgrade paths of your towns. Having the Heroes on the playing field wasn't a welcome addition to the franchise, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#19krayziejoePosted 7/6/2014 10:57:22 PM
I played and thoroughly enjoyed both 5 and 6, and as a result I'm not really confident to suggest one over the other. To me, it comes down to what you want from the game. Do you SP campaign a lot? Or custom maps? Multiplayer? Are you driven to "perfect" your hero, as is the temptation in 5 with it's hidden ultimate abilities? Or do you prefer to have largely the same skills available to every hero so there's an initially steeper, but overall flatter learning curve? Anyway, here are what I recall as the basic differences between each (it's been about a year since I last touched this franchise btw)

HoMaM 5 + 2 expansions
-Randomly selected abilities available at level-up, which seem to be pre-seeded at the beginning of the map (ie if you find the RNG won't allow you to aim for your ultimate, then you have to restart the map to reroll the RNG seed)
-The potential to acquire an ultimate ability based on your faction (though, usually only for about half of the final map in a campaign. If you choose to get it, requires lots of sacrificed skills and time)
-8 factions to choose from
-The choice of two upgraded variants for each faction (expansion only, not original campaign)

HoMaM 6 + expansion
-UPlay. If you've used it before, you know what I'm talking about. The bonus though is achievements. I like achievements. Don't know why, but I like em.
-No headaches from restarting the levels in order to roll a "perfect" character. Skills aren't randomized, and aside from a few magic-school exceptions, are largely available to all heroes from all factions. Lots of initial reading, and lots of similar playstyle (who doesn't pick up Reinforcements, really...), but lots less time spent re-doing the last few hours of play
-Option to restart a battle if you're unhappy with your performance (read: a lot less quick saving and loading)
-Only 6 factions with 1 upgrade available to each army type
-New system to further customize heroes, picking either Blood or Tears path to receive a couple of abilities unique to that faction/path

I could be mistaken, but I feel like HoMaM 6 had more "adventure" style missions than HoMaM 5. That is, missions where you walked your hero through a level, rather than building up a base and conquering the map. That's just from memory though, haven't tried finding stats to compare.

Oh, and one last note, the storyline in BOTH of them is pretty much a token effort, so buy something else if that's what does it for you in a game. But yes, I've enjoyed them both for many 100s of hours. Neither of them are as terrible as HoMaM 4 was, so don't be scared of that.
---
Real gamers know how to play chess.