This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's 2014. Why is migrating from one PC to another still such a pain in the ass?

#1Boo_MarioPosted 7/6/2014 12:02:43 AM
For files and documents, you just copy them to a USB / external hard drive / cloud server. That's fine.

But you still you have to reinstall drivers, software applications, etc. etc. For people who have used their current computer for a very long time, we're talking about dozens if not hundreds of software applications that need to be reinstalled. This reduces the incentive to move even when one's hardware is out of date.

Why can't moving computers be as easy as transferring between two iDevices or two 3DSes or something? To switch from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5, all I do is connect to iTunes/iCloud, the system generates a backup for me and I import everything to my new phone. All phone records, photos, app data, whatever is copied over seamlessly, no reinstalls necessary.

(I don't have a technology or hardware background.)
#2jedinatPosted 7/6/2014 12:13:03 AM(edited)
The main difference is different computers have different hardware.

And it's really not a big deal. I actually enjoy starting fresh once in a while.

A direct transfer of all the junk an illiterate accumulates over a period of years to a poor new machine... that'd be a really horrible idea.
#3animanganimePosted 7/6/2014 12:12:46 AM
To be honest I think people only enjoy doing that if they don't have any critical documents or make a living using said computer.
---
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS
#4jedinatPosted 7/6/2014 12:14:22 AM
animanganime posted...
To be honest I think people only enjoy doing that if they don't have any critical documents or make a living using said computer.

"critical documents", what? You mean stuff that can easily be on the cloud or flash drive? What does that have to do with anything?
#5KamenRiderBladePosted 7/6/2014 12:16:33 AM
That's why you try to keep the list of needed apps down to a minimum.

Stop installing random apps for the sake of doing so.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#6AcquirePosted 7/6/2014 12:19:40 AM
I just recently did a fresh install of windows 8.1 and was up and running within a few minutes. There really shouldn't be that many applications you need.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#7BannedMomPosted 7/6/2014 12:22:24 AM
Critical Documents? You only save them on the computer?

My files are backed up by Google Drive or Dropbox so whenever I need them it's there.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#8jedinatPosted 7/6/2014 12:23:38 AM
Acquire posted...
I just recently did a fresh install of windows 8.1 and was up and running within a few minutes. There really shouldn't be that many applications you need.

Since TC specifies he's 'doesn't have a tech/hardware background' I'm guessing his grasp of things may be a bit off. I know I've dealt with people who have been severely overwhelmed by "losing all my settings and things!" which they make sound like years of labor. When it's just a couple crappy programs and icons that they're really worried about. Not to say TC is that bad at all.
#9Chaos_MissilePosted 7/6/2014 12:55:46 AM
Boo_Mario posted...
For files and documents, you just copy them to a USB / external hard drive / cloud server. That's fine.

But you still you have to reinstall drivers, software applications, etc. etc. For people who have used their current computer for a very long time, we're talking about dozens if not hundreds of software applications that need to be reinstalled. This reduces the incentive to move even when one's hardware is out of date.

Why can't moving computers be as easy as transferring between two iDevices or two 3DSes or something? To switch from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5, all I do is connect to iTunes/iCloud, the system generates a backup for me and I import everything to my new phone. All phone records, photos, app data, whatever is copied over seamlessly, no reinstalls necessary.

(I don't have a technology or hardware background.)

And then it turns out that "hundreds" of those software applications are either:-
a) out of date in the first place
b) bloatware
c) malware
d) junk
e) related to a, you forgotten you had them in the first place

By removing those 5 factors, you'll find out your hundreds can be brought down to around 10.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#10betatechPosted 7/6/2014 1:25:44 AM
The reason there's no simple move system is most likely because programs aren't as controlled as they are in e.g. ios.

For example, on a PC a program could have settings stored in the program files, local, roaming, document, registry, etc.

On ios on the other hand they're restricted on where they can put data so iTunes/iCloud knows exactly where it is.

When I reinstall windows, I keep a list of programs I consider 'essential' e.g. web browsers, codec, etc. which I concentrate on then if I want to move on the other programs less essential or wait until I need them.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.