This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's 2014. Why is migrating from one PC to another still such a pain in the ass?

#11krayziejoePosted 7/6/2014 1:58:40 AM
I hear ya buddy. It's a PITA when it has to be done, but can be fun when it doesn't have to be and you're doing it "just coz".

A friend put me onto this web-service called Ninite (https://ninite.com/) that might help ease the pain. It's not quite the wonder-solution that the OP laments for, but it's a big step in the right direction.

What it does is present you with a list of popular applications from around the internet (eg Skype, WinRAR, Steam, etc), let you decide which ones you want (it offers choice, such as Firefox, Opera, Chrome), compiles a single-click application for you to download, and installs your extras for you. And know what's even better? It auto-denies any of the bloatware that ships with some products, such as Ask.com toolbar that comes with every bloody Java release these days.

Hope this helps ya matey
---
Real gamers know how to play chess.
#12LvthnPosted 7/6/2014 3:03:38 AM
Lightweight programs get bundled in with relevant folders and transferred like documents.

Important programs should get a fresh install anyway.

Other stuff, install when you need it. I consider lack of bloat a benefit of clean OS installs...
#13jairusmonillasPosted 7/6/2014 3:13:55 AM
such pain? i have alot of files from 2002 till today and i don't find them hard or anything. learn to get rid of files that you know will be irrelevant in the future or files that's too easy to get, i usually just keep most important ones then just sort them up.
---
PS4 GPU: 1152 GCN, 1.84 TFLOPS, 72 TMUs, 32 ROPs, 8GB gDDR5
XB1 GPU :: 768 GCN, 1.31 TFLOPS, 48 TMUs, 16 ROPs, 8GB DDR3+eSRAM
#14MacrossSpecialPosted 7/6/2014 3:15:51 AM
Lvthn posted...
Lightweight programs get bundled in with relevant folders and transferred like documents.

Important programs should get a fresh install anyway.

Other stuff, install when you need it. I consider lack of bloat a benefit of clean OS installs...

This

Tc isn't a software engineer with a bunch of language modules, vpn clients and vm stuff to install.

Download your browser, your media player and your itunes or whatever and you're done. Osx and windows both download drivers automatically and have done that since like 2003.
---
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll
#15HighwayPilotPosted 7/6/2014 3:26:43 AM
Migrating from one PC to another is just a matter installing the hardware and a few new drivers. All the software will remain intact. If you also migrate to another OS it will be a pain in the ass.
#16TimePharaohPosted 7/6/2014 7:25:01 AM
You have hundreds of programs you need?
#17ClashtonnPosted 7/6/2014 7:31:41 AM
I work on my computer and have no problem with it.

Reinstall Chrome, Firefox, Sublime Text, WinSCP and Adobe CS and I'm good

If you have a ton of work documents, back them up. It's not tough. Hell, most of us work on both a PC and a laptop so it makes sense to have it on an external anyway. Most things I work on are saved on cloud storage as well.
#18Killah PriestPosted 7/6/2014 7:31:47 AM
Migrating from one PC to another is fine as long as you aren't an obsessive pack rat prone to complaining about having to do simple tasks.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#19SnadadosPosted 7/6/2014 7:35:05 AM
https://www.google.com/#q=how+do+i+clone+my+HDD
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#20nIMr0D888Posted 7/6/2014 9:37:30 AM
Windows has a feature called easy transfer, perhaps you should use it...
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE