This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best mate got given a PC from his school for free, troubles with everything.

#1MrBombasticaIPosted 7/6/2014 5:25:59 AM
So my best friends school is upgrading their PCs in their computer labs so they are giving PCs to students who want them. He got one, a fairly crappy pre-built Windows 7 desktop. Problem is, there is no way to get to the boot options, the computer skips that screen altogether (meaning we can't reset it), and when we get to the logon screen, it tries to use the school domain (and there are no local accounts) and having the computer at home, there are naturally no logon servers available to service the request.

So he can't log in and we can't access any boot menus to wipe the damn thing. Any ideas on what to do? The IT staff at his school won't help him, the computers were given away by a teacher who's leaving, and the remaining staff don't like it. Wut do?
---
Join my new game on GnT! Called All Sorts, more info here: http://goo.gl/MjOFDW
PM me if you would like to join or visit the Games N Things board for the topic
#2BannedMomPosted 7/6/2014 5:27:51 AM
Wipe the HDD.

Install the HDD into another computer then wipe it then install in the crappy prebuilt.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#3MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 5:29:10 AM
BannedMom posted...
Wipe the HDD.

Install the HDD into another computer then wipe it then install in the crappy prebuilt.

Would that work or is it gonna continue to not show the boot options? I can't do it atm, it's night time over here and he's gone home for the day
---
#4BannedMomPosted 7/6/2014 5:31:07 AM
It should.

If it won't work then I don't know what to do haha! Good luck.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#5MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 5:31:59 AM
BannedMom posted...
It should.

If it won't work then I don't know what to do haha! Good luck.

Thanks for the help even if it doesn't end up working, that was damn quick as well =D
---
#6BannedMomPosted 7/6/2014 5:34:25 AM
Yeah but at least the HDD is clean so you have one less problem to worry about.
---
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#7MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 5:36:35 AM
BannedMom posted...

In theory it should definitely work if it lets me wipe it, it'd be software business rather than hardware with these, you can still buy the pre-builts I think.

Problem is it may not let me get to the boot menu, though I think there may be ways to force that though, like making it shut down unsucsessfully
---
#8BannedMomPosted 7/6/2014 5:38:07 AM
MrBombasticaI posted...
BannedMom posted...

In theory it should definitely work if it lets me wipe it, it'd be software business rather than hardware with these, you can still buy the pre-builts I think.

Problem is it may not let me get to the boot menu, though I think there may be ways to force that though, like making it shut down unsucsessfully

Yeah but I think you can mess with the BIOS to make the boot option go away but hopefully there's someone who is more knowledgeable to help u.
---
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#9MrBombasticaI(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 5:43:34 AM
BannedMom posted...
MrBombasticaI posted...
BannedMom posted...

Yeah but I think you can mess with the BIOS to make the boot option go away but hopefully there's someone who is more knowledgeable to help u.

True point. If that's just a BIOS thing, then I might be able to do it on another computer, then at least he can make an account and log in.
---
#10datopgamerPosted 7/6/2014 6:21:10 AM
What brand and model computer?
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser