This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What compels you to complete a game?

#1temoorashrafPosted 7/6/2014 7:53:30 AM
Lately, I've gotten into the habit of not completing games. A game being fun used to be enough to justify finishing a game, but now, when the enjoyment drops even the slightest, I start thinking "I have a huge backlog of games, and one of them is bound to be more fun than this."
I hate thinking like this, but I can't seem to get rid of this thought process.

Well this got me thinking, how do you guys justify sticking with a game through to the end.
---
This car won't explode and that disappoints me greatly.
#2SythisTaruPosted 7/6/2014 7:54:44 AM
I cut myself if I don't beat it.
#3Logical_OnePosted 7/6/2014 7:58:35 AM
If I'm not enjoying it then I don't play it. Life is too short to spend time doing something you hate.

Don't beat yourself up.
---
---
Meh...
#4Killah PriestPosted 7/6/2014 8:00:58 AM(edited)
Sounds like you're developing ADD.

The only motivation I need is starting it, I don't start something and leave it unfinished PERIOD.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5temoorashraf(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 8:02:12 AM
Logical_One posted...
If I'm not enjoying it then I don't play it. Life is too short to spend time doing something you hate.

Don't beat yourself up.

It's not that I don't enjoy the game.
The problem is I really like closure. If I start a game which I like, I really want to see how it plays out, but due to my irrational thinking I can't enjoy playing the game, so it makes it difficult to finish the game. And then when I start the new game, I start thinking about the previous game.
---
#6SythisTaruPosted 7/6/2014 8:02:54 AM
temoorashraf posted...
Logical_One posted...

Don't beat yourself up.

It's not that I don't enjoy the game.
The problem is I really like closure. If I start a game which I like, I really want to see how it plays out, but due to my irrational thinking I can't enjoy playing the game, so it makes it difficult to finish the game. And then when I start the new game, I start thinking about the previous game.

Adderall.
#7RoyMaster4Posted 7/6/2014 8:08:01 AM(edited)
- It must be less than ~10 hours to complete the game. Any more and I have no motivation to complete it (i.e. Skyrim, Final Fantasy).
- It must be good the whole game. If at any point there's a long drawn-out section where either I have to do a long fetch quest or grind, I'm done (i.e. Skyward Sword).
- Story must not take priority over gameplay. I refuse to play if I'm not actually playing (i.e. Metal Gear Solid, The Last of Us).

2 more recent examples of perfect games are Portal and Shovel Knight.
---
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023511833
3DS FC: 5026-4428-6076
#8temoorashraf(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 8:08:09 AM
Killah Priest posted...
Sounds like you're developing ADD.

The only motivation I need is starting it, I don't start something and leave it unfinished PERIOD.

Really?
One of my teachers said that too.
Whenever I tell my parents about it, they just say that it's not a real problem I'm just absent minded.
---
#9DC07301981Posted 7/6/2014 8:11:16 AM
If the game keeps my attention then I'll finish it. Games that drag on and that are extremely repetitive and drawn out make me not want to finish it. I've finished most games I've owned though, even if I didn't fully enjoy them.
#10Killah PriestPosted 7/6/2014 8:13:19 AM
Really?
One of my teachers said that too.
Whenever I tell my parents about it, they just say that it's not a real problem I'm just absent minded.

What you described is genuine symptoms of ADD, but yes a lot of people feel that its not actually a real problem and people are just "absent minded", also doesn't necessarily mean you have ADD.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.