This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

buy volcanic islands now or wait for pirate islands/maxwell? +help choose laptop

#1blackwolfLT7Posted 7/6/2014 7:12:14 AM(edited)
Long story short: was a xbox360 player, played lots of mainstream games. Brother bought Acer Aspire V3-771G with 16gb ddr3 1333mhz ram, 2gb 650m video card, i7-3610QMprocessor in 2012 for 1000bucks from local store where things are overpriced...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-V3-771G-Notebook.74597.0.html

laptop was enough for dota 2/stalker. It is still ok when it comes to 2013-2014 games (medium-high graphics)
I am a perfectionist. With huge consumers regret if i dont get the best product for price in my opinion. I suggested him msi with HD 6970M (almost 2x times better than 650m), 8gb ddr5 1600mhz ram, and some amd processor 22% faster than i7 3610qm. For same price, from xoticpc back then. He didnt listened.

Now it' my time to buy a laptop, i will get my money back he owes me. And i dont want to make his mistake; buying inferior product. I am a student who travels and i just cant afford to have destop that you cant move from place to place. I will use it as destop replacement for most times; it is just that i might travel a bit sometimes.

I heard that in late2014/early2015 maxwell/pirate island cards should be released. And that they may be huge leap over current volcanic islands (not typical 10% increase like with same gen cards 550m-650m-750m). So... should i buy really cheap laptop for dota 2 and wait for next gen? Or buy needed laptop now without wasting time? Will it last ~2years for gaming?

I can spend up to 1000-1250 dollars; +-100 If it is super great deal. Sucks that i must pay 20% customs pay if i buy stuff from usa to europe, cant spend any more :(

Anyways, if i were to buy a laptop this year with provided agruments that it is not worth the wait,i probably would choose from these two in xoticpc (just a quick search i did in few mins) :

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gx70-destroyer229-gx703cc229-p-6965.html?wconfigure=yes

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8268s-clevo-p150sma-eta-march-p-6987.html?wconfigure=yes

one has 17.3'' monitor, AMD® A10-5750M processor, R9 M290X (2.0GB) GDDR5 video card, 12GB DDR3 1600MHz ram, has bluray and 1tb hdd.

other has 15.6'' monitor, i7-4810MQ processor, GTX 870M (6.0GB) GDDR5 video card, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ram, bluray and 1tb hdd.

I am kinda new to this, but if i am right, gpu>processor>ram.. when it comes to gaming

and sager has better processor (not like that msi is already more than enough for most games of today :D )

http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=2041&pid2=1893&compare=core-i7-4810mq-4-core-2-8ghz-vs-apu-a10-5757m-quad-core

but does msi have better video card? R9 seems stronger on notebookcheck than 870m BUT that 870m has 6gb ram instead of typical 2gb ram 870m? Does ram affect gaming FilesPerSecond that much or is it just for multi-sceens only??

Which one of them is better overal for gaming?

Anyways; maybe some of you have better suggestions than xotic pc :)

i am tall,and strong 6''6 guy. Laptop size and weight doesnt matter much (15.6 are kinda small to me -_-, but ok). I just care for power mostly:

the higher, the more priority
*laptop power
*bang-for-buck
*internet speed
*baterry power (¬2 hours is enough)
*design
*hdd size (500gb is enough)
*size/weight
*dvd drive (steam ftw)

i will still play dota 2/stalker mostly but i might play some battlefield 4 or new games later....

Thanks for reading and any help is needed :)

waiting for suggestions and current gen vs upcoming gen debate!
---
Official blackwolf of dota 2 boards
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 7/6/2014 6:59:56 AM
Buy a desktop and use that money you saved towards a 3ds XL for when you travel.

This is my suggestion
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3blackwolfLT7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 7:07:05 AM(edited)
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Buy a desktop and use that money you saved towards a 3ds XL for when you travel.

This is my suggestion

i know pc boards are against gaming laptops, but so far my experience even with this crappy acer is good. Thing doesnt get hot, runs games fine.

I just need to get one for myself. I dont want to leave destop in home for long time (up to 6months); nor i am fan of 3ds (had psp once, only played few games like metal gear solid and monster hunter) with pokemon...

This is destop replacement. Might bring it over for lan parties of dota. Might take it while moving/travelling. I will use it to study in lectures while in university.

I dont have that much money/time to build good and first custom pc. You will f*** up your first creations, i guess (from what i heard) :D

and even if i did, i would be forced to leave it :(
---
#4Cool_Dude667Posted 7/6/2014 7:05:32 AM
blackwolfLT7 posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...

This is my suggestion

i know pc boards are against gaming laptops, but so far my experience even with this crappy acer is good. Thing doesnt get hot, runs games fine.

I just need to get one for myself. I dont want to leave destop in home for long time; nor i am fan 3ds (had psp once, only played few games like metal gear solid and monster hunter) with pokemon...

The problem is in 2-4 years when games won't run well at all anymore, you are forced to buy a brand new laptop.

Wouldn't you rather just upgrade your GPU directly via a desktop?
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#5blackwolfLT7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 7:08:18 AM
i am ok with buying another one in 3-4 years. I might build destop pc after that time when i will settle in somewhere. I need something portable but powerfull atm.
---
#6blackwolfLT7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 7:24:41 AM
anyways; are there any laptops up to 250$ that run dota 2 on high?

my aunts old 2006hp run dota at low/med and last year it was worth 157$.... it would cost even less this year :D
---
#7blackwolfLT7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 9:07:35 AM
bump... does anyone here knows something about video cards? :(
---
#8Rai_JinPosted 7/6/2014 10:06:47 AM
Not a single thing. But the 3DS has currently one, soon two MH games. Just saying...
#9blackwolfLT7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 10:14:08 AM
Rai_Jin posted...
Not a single thing. But the 3DS has currently one, soon two MH games. Just saying...

and i prefer other things than only gaming?

like moding,video editing... sometimes photoshop and even 3d making.

Just for pc games i would better carry laptop around :D

THIS IS PC board, people. Not 3ds :p
---
#10Rai_JinPosted 7/6/2014 10:26:41 AM
You didn't mention that though. Those are actual arguments for a laptop, so I will retreat, since the next guy most likely has more knowledge about the matter than me :(