This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Deus Ex Hong Kong level racist??

#31TimePharaohPosted 7/6/2014 1:32:08 PM(edited)
Lord_Vader posted...
DieForMotherLand posted...
I'll admit, it's dumb for them to pronounce their L's as R's since that's a Japanese thing, but come on, do you expect people in these countries to speak perfect English with a clear accent?

It's 2052. In Hong Kong (a major international city). You're telling me that not one person will have learned to speak English properly in what's arguably Asia's most important business center?

You're implying that you talked to every person living in Hong Kong?

And it's not a matter of speaking it "properly", derpcake, it's looking like you're the racist.
#32SpazH3dPosted 7/6/2014 2:13:26 PM
Lord_Vader posted...
DieForMotherLand posted...
I'll admit, it's dumb for them to pronounce their L's as R's since that's a Japanese thing, but come on, do you expect people in these countries to speak perfect English with a clear accent?

It's 2052. In Hong Kong (a major international city). You're telling me that not one person will have learned to speak English properly in what's arguably Asia's most important business center?

It's 2014, why doesn't every speak fluent english with no accent at all? What are people, stupid? We live in the age of technology and knowledge!
---
- My vision is augmented
#33JackApostrophePosted 7/6/2014 2:27:41 PM
The bad voice acting in Deus Ex is hardly limited to that level. Actual racism would require intent rather than a lack of funds allocated to the voice acting budget.

Still one of my favourite games ever made, though.
#34achtungnightPosted 7/6/2014 3:03:08 PM
<sigh> One day the world will stop being racist. I continue to wait for that day. And like the secondary villain from the game mentioned in this thread, I am a patient man.
#35someguyshandPosted 7/6/2014 3:22:31 PM
I think the more important question is why are you listening to the dialog over this?

http://youtu.be/2yDVM77lGlM?t=48m
---
(Insert Name) killed Some Guy
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55859/122kyz9.gif
#36Golden_GonadsPosted 7/6/2014 3:26:00 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#37MarikhenPosted 7/6/2014 3:38:49 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Morrowind had slavery.

Not that slavery has a blessed thing to do with racism. After all, the Romans practiced slavery, and the only people they discriminated against with regards to whom they did and didn't enslave were citizens. Black, white, brown, they didn't care, but if you were a citizen there was no way in hell they'd ever let you be a slave!
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#38ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/6/2014 3:47:29 PM
Marikhen posted...

Not that slavery has a blessed thing to do with racism. After all, the Romans practiced slavery, and the only people they discriminated against with regards to whom they did and didn't enslave were citizens. Black, white, brown, they didn't care, but if you were a citizen there was no way in hell they'd ever let you be a slave!

In Morrowind it was racial, iirc.

You're correct, though. Slavery has never really been racial. People like to pretend that the Irish were never slaves in America, and they like to pretend that there were never any black slave owners, either.
#39SneakiestNegPosted 7/6/2014 4:12:40 PM
Europeans bought slaves from black kings and tribal leaders. No European went far from the coast into the heartland of Africa untill well into the 19th century. Not something they teach at high school history lessons. There were actually a lot of complaints from the African leadership when the British blockaded the slave trade.
#40brotrrwinnerPosted 7/6/2014 4:25:44 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]