This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you learned more about history in games than in school?

#1iPr0kkaFTWPosted 7/6/2014 1:58:35 PM
Where did you learn the most about history from? - Results (265 votes)
Video Games
9.06% (24 votes)
School
30.57% (81 votes)
The Internet (e.g. Wikipedia)
22.26% (59 votes)
Reading Books
7.55% (20 votes)
Television
3.4% (9 votes)
Combination of Video Games & Internet
11.7% (31 votes)
Combination of Two of the Choices
14.34% (38 votes)
Other
1.13% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I actually learned a lot about history from video games and the Internet than the time I was in high school and in college. For example, Civilization V's Civilopedia contained a lot of great info about the history of each civilization leader and other stuff.
#2pwnater777Posted 7/6/2014 2:00:20 PM
Not at all. I've learned a lot about history from gaming (for example, I'm learning a lot right now about medieval times while playing Mount & Blade), but in reality, it just doesn't come close at all to what I've actually learned from school. I can't seriously imagine a scenario where someone has learned more from gaming than from school.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#3jake-sfPosted 7/6/2014 2:00:56 PM
I have learned next to nothing about history in video games because historical games bore me to tears.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#4Lemur_HPosted 7/6/2014 2:03:39 PM
Eh... My schools were poor for learning history, and I certainly can't take video games seriously. The schools I went to were obsessed with the American Revolution and the American Civil War but never really taught us about anything else or any other country.
#5SpazH3dPosted 7/6/2014 2:04:05 PM
Where is the vote choice of television, video games and the internet?
---
- My vision is augmented
#6InferiorPeasantPosted 7/6/2014 2:04:30 PM
Not really, But you should be aware that most of the times they are not accurate at all..... that said, I would prefer learning in school.

The only thing I may have learned is Greek Mythology from God of War. A understanding of it and the culture etc. Such as Hades, who is Zues etc.
#7Born LuckyPosted 7/6/2014 2:05:10 PM
Most video games . . . lie about history.

If you think you're going to learn history from Assassins Creed, which is made by pro Islamic developers, you better think again, and if you think public school or a college like USC is going to tell you the truth about history, they're not.

When I was in public school,we were taught that the "evil" white man slaughtered the peaceful Indians.

My mother is Native American, so I did a LOT of independent research. There was slavery, murders, wars, and brutality amongst Native American tribes worse than anything, anyone alive today has ever seen. . . . but they didn't mention any of that in the public schools.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#8iPr0kkaFTW(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 2:07:02 PM
SpazH3d posted...
Where is the vote choice of television, video games and the internet?

Other.
#9Lord_VaderPosted 7/6/2014 2:09:56 PM
I actually started out learning much more about history from video games by playing games like Age of Empires and Civilization. This was when I was in 6th grade and they really got me interested in all aspects of history, but mostly US and European history. Then as I grew up the historical knowledge I got from games gave me a great foundation in my history classes. I ended up majoring in history in college.
---
Live long and prosper.
#10Orestes417Posted 7/6/2014 2:11:57 PM
Combination of books and the internet. Just finished a pretty interesting read on how Lincoln was seen by his contemporaries actually. Fascinating stuff compared to the Honest Abe crap shoveled down school kids throats. Civil war era politics in general really.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.