This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you learned more about history in games than in school?

• Topic Archived
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you learned more about history in games than in school?

User Info: Lemur_H

2 years ago#11
I'm so pissed that Russia nuked Chernarus.

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
2 years ago#12
pwnater777 posted...
Not at all. I've learned a lot about history from gaming (for example, I'm learning a lot right now about medieval times while playing Mount & Blade), but in reality, it just doesn't come close at all to what I've actually learned from school. I can't seriously imagine a scenario where someone has learned more from gaming than from school.

This. I've learned a lot from the internet and games, but nowhere near as much as I did from school. Anyone who thinks otherwise is flat out wrong, assuming they actually went to school
Matthew 7:21

User Info: Orestes417

2 years ago#13
Lemur_H posted...
I'm so pissed that Russia nuked Chernarus.

It was Makarov, just ask Activision
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.

User Info: FL81

2 years ago#14
I did learn a good deal from playing Rome: Total War >_>

User Info: LaManoNeraII

2 years ago#15
I didn't learn **** from school that was helpful in the real world. I pretty much had to re-educate myself when I became an adult. I think the public school system in America stunts childhoods instead of enhancing them.
R.I.P LaManoNera

User Info: MyDogSkip

2 years ago#16

I don't particularly like history, so I generally don't seek out history knowledge willingly. Even if I did, I'd have to play a lot of games to equal the amount I learned in school, and I'd always be wary of whether or not the information presented in the games was actual history or just inspired by it.

Now, it's possible for a game to give a certain viewpoint that I wouldn't have otherwise experienced, or to focus on a small section of events that are only summarized in a general history education. But then that's similar to a book or a movie/miniseries focusing on that topic. Plenty of college courses have narrower foci like that.
Don't trust the smiling penguin!

User Info: anonymous46773

2 years ago#17
Information that stuck? Probably, yeah.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

User Info: Dreag0n

2 years ago#18
Games may spark interest in a certain time period or give me some interesting facts but that's about it. I guess most of the information comes from three sources for me:
1: Internet, just clicking around on wikipedia and some podcasts.
2: School, i'm studying to become a history teacher so in one year I basically had to learn about the past 3000 years of history.
3: Books, these provide more detailed information about specific events and persons.
3DSFC: 4742-6016-1171
Safari type: Ghost (Spiritomb, Phantump, Lampent)

User Info: Gynthaeres

2 years ago#19
I learned a lot about geography from gaming, thanks to Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, and Victoria.

History though? I wouldn't say I learned much from gaming. Gaming did help pique my interest in history though. Seeing these factions I'd play against in like, Age of Empires 2 or something, show up in the history books. Made me want to learn more about what they were like in real life.
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.

User Info: Arayziel

2 years ago#20
Most history games that I know of are strategy games, and those bore me to tears. I learned most from school, books and the next (which led me to said books).
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you learned more about history in games than in school?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived