This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are MX browns supposed to "feel" the same as blues?

#1bluemooglePosted 7/6/2014 1:29:47 PM
I tried reds, blues, browns, and blacks in the store, and I liked the feel of the blues the most. I thought the browns and blues would feel the same, but the browns had a gooey-sticky feeling that the blues didn't. (Not as gooey as the reds, but still noticeably more than the blues).

I decided to buy a keyboard with MX blues, but I underestimated the noise. I think it's something I could get used to pretty easily, but I might exchange it for a brown if they're supposed to be the "same."

These were all Ducky Zero 2108 keyboards, by the way.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#2PraetorXynPosted 7/6/2014 1:34:40 PM
bluemoogle posted...
I tried reds, blues, browns, and blacks in the store, and I liked the feel of the blues the most. I thought the browns and blues would feel the same, but the browns had a gooey-sticky feeling that the blues didn't. (Not as gooey as the reds, but still noticeably more than the blues).

I decided to buy a keyboard with MX blues, but I underestimated the noise. I think it's something I could get used to pretty easily, but I might exchange it for a brown if they're supposed to be the "same."

These were all Ducky Zero 2108 keyboards, by the way.

No. Blues are meant strictly for typing as they provide the most tactile feedback. They are annoyingly loud so I get exasperated every time someone mentions preferring them. If you live with a girl they will let you know real quick they hate those switches.

Browns provide a tactile feedback like Blues, and Clears are a stiffer Brown. Browns and Reds are too light for me, I use Blacks myself on a Deck Legend and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#3ZethPosted 7/6/2014 1:36:50 PM
Browns have a more subtle bump compared to the obvious bump with Blues
---
"Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
3DS FC: 5172 0388 6449
#4Lemur_HPosted 7/6/2014 1:40:14 PM
I hope you're not bottoming out the keys and blaming the noise on the switches.

If you use a lighter touch, Blues aren't bad. The click isn't as loud as someone slamming the keys against the bottom plate with their sledgehammer fingers.

Browns will be stupidly loud too if you can't control the force you put into your key-presses.
#5bluemoogle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 1:42:07 PM
Are clears more akin to "quiet" blues, then, since they are stiffer than browns?
---
#6PraetorXynPosted 7/6/2014 1:49:49 PM
bluemoogle posted...
Are clears more akin to "quiet" blues, then, since they are stiffer than browns?

They're as close as you're going to get to quiet blues.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/official-mechanical-keyboard-guide

They don't feel exactly the same, but require roughly the same amount of force.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#7bluemoogle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 1:54:20 PM
Thank you, that helps quite a bit. I'll give these blue switches a shot for a week, and I'll look into trying some clears if I decide against the blues.
---