This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Network Question...

#1MCC1701Posted 7/6/2014 4:11:12 PM
So I'm visiting my parents and as usual I fix all the computer-related stuff and fine-tune everything I can find.

One such thing I would like to fine-tune is part of the network. A brief summary of the network:
It comes in from Comcast and is converted into Ethernet. From there it connects to 3 wired computers and one wireless access point on the other end of the house. From that access point connects many wireless devices.

My goal is to get it set up somehow so that devices connected via the access point can network with the 3 wired machines . The three machines can see each other, and the wireless devices can see each other, but the wired and wireless can't see each other over the network.

Help is greatly appreciated.
---
My old sig was removed as people were offended by my board level
Asking for relationship advice from strangers is typically dumb but feel free to ask me anyway
#2datopgamerPosted 7/6/2014 4:22:51 PM
So the way it sounds the wireless access point is on the other side of the house? If that's the case can you connect the WAP to the main Ethernet port and connect the pcs to that? Doing so would put them on the same ssid as everything else. Then you just enable sharing so you can see each computer and device.
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#3MCC1701(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 4:46:39 PM
The modem or whatever has 4 ports. 3 go to 3 computers, one travels a long way to an access point. Basically where the wired PCs connect to the gateway and then to each other, wireless devices on the other side of the house have to connect to the wireless gateway, which connects to the other gateway. It seems they are unable to see past 1 gateway. Is there a way to configure the access point to forward sharing to the first gateway?
---
My old sig was removed as people were offended by my board level
Asking for relationship advice from strangers is typically dumb but feel free to ask me anyway
#4zerodefectPosted 7/6/2014 6:22:30 PM
You just need to put the wireless access point in bridge mode. Any wireless clients that connect to it will appear as if they are directly connected to the switch in the modem (all clients will be on the same subnet and will use the routers DHCP server).
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU