This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

better upgrade processor or SSD?

#1jairusmonillasPosted 7/6/2014 11:36:09 PM
which is the better upgrade from the two? should i settle with core i5 4690 from core i3 sandy or a SSD upgrade from normal HDD?

let's say i have $200 you guys think it should go to processor (+$100 motherboard) or should i get SSD upgrade? is it really worth going SSD?
---
PS4 GPU: 1152 GCN, 1.84 TFLOPS, 72 TMUs, 32 ROPs, 8GB gDDR5
XB1 GPU :: 768 GCN, 1.31 TFLOPS, 48 TMUs, 16 ROPs, 8GB DDR3+eSRAM
#2Pepys MonsterPosted 7/6/2014 11:37:35 PM
Get both.
---
i7-4790K | EVGA GTX 780 3GB | 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1866 | 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 4TB WD Black HDD | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Antec EA-650 Platinum
#3jairusmonillas(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 11:44:02 PM
Pepys Monster posted...
Get both.

i don't have the money for both i can only afford for 1 of the two which is $200-$300
---
PS4 GPU: 1152 GCN, 1.84 TFLOPS, 72 TMUs, 32 ROPs, 8GB gDDR5
XB1 GPU :: 768 GCN, 1.31 TFLOPS, 48 TMUs, 16 ROPs, 8GB DDR3+eSRAM
#4ArkonBladePosted 7/6/2014 11:44:05 PM
get new CPU first.

upgrade to SSD later. Prices on them are falling fast.
---
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#532x2zPosted 7/6/2014 11:58:24 PM
What games are you playing? An i3 can run games fine and relative to upgrading to an SSD you're getting more bang for your buck considering you're going from a hard drive. Here's an example.

Upgrading a single core to an i5 is like upgrading a hdd to a ssd. You are getting a huge boost of performance that is noticeable in every aspect of utilizing your computer.

Upgrading an i3 to an i5 is not even relative to upgrading an hdd to a ssd. Odds are, you'll get a better performance overall with an ssd.
---
APEVIA X-Hermes--CORSAIR H75--G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB-- ADATA SSD 128GB--AMD FX 8320 Black Edition @ 4.1ghz--Powercolor 2GB 7850 @ 1050/1450--Asus Xonar DGX.
#6The_Count_FooPosted 7/7/2014 12:05:07 AM
32x2z posted...
What games are you playing? An i3 can run games fine and relative to upgrading to an SSD you're getting more bang for your buck considering you're going from a hard drive. Here's an example.

Upgrading a single core to an i5 is like upgrading a hdd to a ssd. You are getting a huge boost of performance that is noticeable in every aspect of utilizing your computer.

Upgrading an i3 to an i5 is not even relative to upgrading an hdd to a ssd. Odds are, you'll get a better performance overall with an ssd.

That sounds made up.
---
Divided by night...
#7KURRUPTORPosted 7/7/2014 5:23:42 AM
32x2z posted...

While loading times might get a bit lower, your in game fps will not change at all from upgrading to a SSD (and that's assuming the said game is on the SSD since generally you can't get all your games on there it won't do anything for most of your game library).

Meanwhile upgrading the CPU would increase load times as well (but not by as much) for everything regardless of where it is stored on your PC while also offering your increased FPS in games that are CPU dependent.

In other words I'm not really sure what you are talking about. SSD are still an un-needed luxury atm. They are nice and do help the over-all performance of your PC but really I'm not sure you you can say it would be the better performance increase.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#8NicodimusPosted 7/7/2014 6:35:07 AM
CPU should be a higher priority. SSDs are nice, but less important.
---
My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#9PhilOnDezPosted 7/7/2014 7:10:49 AM
You aren't going to get any real performance out of an SSD aside from load times and texture pop reduction in some titles, and even then only if you have the game on the SSD. If games aren't running well enough then a CPU upgrade would likely be the better bet. If windows itself is what feels sluggish to you an SSD will help a lot, likely making it feel like a better-than-new pc, especially if you've never used one. Your CPU is powerful enough that there isn't an upgrade you'd notice as far as system performance goes.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10MyDogSkipPosted 7/7/2014 7:26:03 AM
If you use your computer for any average tasks in addition to gaming, the SSD will do you more good.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93