This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about buying the Samsung 850 Pro SSD

#1Xtreme-VoidPosted 7/7/2014 2:07:11 PM(edited)
Still using HDD, play every games at highest settings smoothly, benchmark still past the highest gaming rigs standard.

Will upgrading to SSD have noticeable impact on gaming all around performance? how about graphically?

What kind of benefit will I get?

My HDD consist of : 250GB (as system drive where windows and standard programs go), 1TB and 2TB
I will still use that 250GB HDD as system drive, as I don't want to re-install windows and re-install every useful program, and setting all of them again, could probably take a very long time.
Will using SSD only to install games wise?
---
PC Gaming Rigs, PS3, PS VITA, PSP, 3DS
i7 4790 | MSI GTX 780 Ti TF OC | 12 GB RAM | 3 TB HDD | Sony Bravia 40HX750 | Altec Lansing MX6021
#2hk7111Posted 7/7/2014 2:11:11 PM
No, Just suck it up and reinstall windows. Otherwise over half of the reason to have an SSD is gone.
---
Steam: Hk1777, Gtag: RAlNB0W D4SH (Yes its an L) Psn: hk1777
PC, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS, Xbox 360, Wii, Iphone, Ipad, 17 Kyocera Hydros (Not joking)
#3shmirlywhirlPosted 7/7/2014 2:14:02 PM
The only benefit a SSD would give is faster load times.
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#4ThatOneGuysHairPosted 7/7/2014 2:15:21 PM
ssds write faster, read faster, and have lower seek times

this means you can transfer files faster, load files into ram faster, capture high res uncompressed video faster, etc

SSDs generally get used as an OS disk because of all the different files that need to be loaded/pulled from the filesystem...

installing games on a SSD will decrease the amount of time it takes levels to load/etc (because of the faster speed which your ram can pull & store data from the disk) but wont do much else
#5Xtreme-Void(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2014 2:22:45 PM
So only in loading times? how about in game experience?
I don't want to buy SSD for nothing, it pricier than my Motherboard.
---
i7 4790 | MSI GTX 780 Ti TF OC | 12 GB RAM | 3 TB HDD | Sony Bravia 40HX750 | Altec Lansing MX6021
#6PhilOnDezPosted 7/7/2014 2:26:08 PM
If you aren't going to put your OS on it don't bother. Not even remotely worth it for just games. If you don't want to reinstall just buy a 250gb drive and clone your 250gb HDD to it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7ThatOneGuysHairPosted 7/7/2014 2:34:12 PM
Xtreme-Void posted...

so, when you're playing a game, information gets loaded into the RAM and VRAM from your hard/solidstate-disk

because SSDs have much faster read and write speeds, the files can be loaded into RAM (and thus VRAM) at much faster speeds than traditional disks

that's why game load times will be faster on a SSD than a HDD. generally speaking, you wont find any more advantages beyond the load time because everything that needed to be loaded into the RAM and VRAM has already been loaded and the disk's job is done

if the RAM is full then the system will begin paging the disk/virtual memory for the data it needs... however, this will cause slowdowns even with a SSD because of how much faster RAM is than nonvolatile storage mediums, it's better to have more ram and a mechanical disk than less ram and a SSD
#8Xtreme-Void(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2014 2:46:08 PM
ThatOneGuysHair posted...
Xtreme-Void posted...

so, when you're playing a game, information gets loaded into the RAM and VRAM from your hard/solidstate-disk

because SSDs have much faster read and write speeds, the files can be loaded into RAM (and thus VRAM) at much faster speeds than traditional disks

that's why game load times will be faster on a SSD than a HDD. generally speaking, you wont find any more advantages beyond the load time because everything that needed to be loaded into the RAM and VRAM has already been loaded and the disk's job is done

if the RAM is full then the system will begin paging the disk/virtual memory for the data it needs... however, this will cause slowdowns even with a SSD because of how much faster RAM is than nonvolatile storage mediums, it's better to have more ram and a mechanical disk than less ram and a SSD

It can actually cloned windows too?
---
#9ThatOneGuysHairPosted 7/7/2014 2:51:31 PM
Xtreme-Void posted...
It can actually cloned windows too?

the other poster was just talking about making a disk "image," or full-disk backup, of your current system drive, and then cloning it onto the SSD. Any drive can do this if you have the right software and know-how

here's an example of some software that can do this, from googling "free disk imaging", http://clonezilla.org/
#10Xtreme-Void(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2014 2:55:57 PM
ThatOneGuysHair posted...
http://clonezilla.org/

Thank for the useful info,
It might be not relevant, but will copy everything from HDD onto the SSD without a program will do? just in case.
Though I regret that SSD job is done only when on load screen, I will still consider it.
---