This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is the community in mobas so disgusting?

#41Hi CPosted 7/8/2014 9:44:26 AM(edited)
"Why is the community in mobas so disgusting?"

It's descendant from a Blizzard product. Battle.net was the most vile (/b/ type vile) s*** hole on the Internet next to AOL in the mid 90's. It's where all the kiddos went when they couldn't stay unbanned from a MUD or had a CC# to pay for an early MMORPG. Unsurprisingly the early PC FPS Deathmatch scene was just as bad as todays XBoxLive CoD scene.

Blizzard never punished anyone for griefng, cheating, hacking, you name it. And they never made their software server dependent so it was easy to hack and exploit at will.

When new people came in they saw how everyone else acted and naturally decided to follow suit because they thought it was ok and no one was ever punished.

If you cater to the lower common denominator and let people get away with what they want they will do exactly that. It's really no more complex than that.
#42InterfusorPosted 7/8/2014 9:43:22 AM
Why do people in mobas...
Why do people on the Internet...
Why do people...
Why?!?!?!
---
I am not economically viable.
#43Worknofun370Posted 7/8/2014 9:49:36 AM
pothocket posted...
This. It's just people in general, not the genre. For some reason people seem to think that winning is more important than playing for the love of the game.

Having played competitive sports since I was a little kid... no it's not people in general.

I can count the number of times I was yelled/screamed at by a teammate in my entire life on two hands. And can count on one hand the number of times I was yelled at where I wasn't actually at fault.

I surpassed that total in the first few hours I played a MOBA.

pothocket posted...
So that's why it's generally accepted that any and all game imbalances, not matter how small, will be exploited to hell and back.

If you're playing in a non-ranked environment where it's just for fun... yeah I can see getting annoyed by that.

But if you're playing competitively in a ranked setup, I don't see any issues at all utilizing things that are in your favor.
#44Worknofun370Posted 7/8/2014 9:54:06 AM(edited)
Hi C posted...

It's descendant from a Blizzard product. Battle.net was the most vile (/b/ type vile) s*** hole on the Internet next to AOL in the mid 90's. It's where all the kiddos went when they couldn't stay unbanned from a MUD or had a CC# to pay for an early MMORPG. Unsurprisingly the early PC FPS Deathmatch scene was just as bad as todays XBoxLive CoD scene.

Blizzard never punished anyone for griefng, cheating, hacking, you name it. And they never made their software server dependent so it was easy to hack and exploit at will.

When new people came in they saw how everyone else acted and naturally decided to follow suit because they thought it was ok and no one was ever punished.

If you cater to the lower common denominator and let people get away with what they want they will do exactly that. It's really no more complex than that.

If this is true, why don't we see far more bad manners in SC2 than we currently do?

EDIT: I'm not saying battle.net wasn't... interesting back in the day. It was.
#45HappyHippo04Posted 7/8/2014 9:53:22 AM
Hi C posted...

I especially enjoyed goatse map previews on WC3 custom map downloads.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#46CloneTheHeroPosted 7/8/2014 9:59:17 AM
monkmith posted...
i always thought halo 2 multiplayer was bad, what with the rampant children screeching and cursing; but the dota community can be FAR worse.

Please. The Xbronies are in a league of their own when it comes to online immaturity and douchery.
---
Currently Playing: Uncharted 3 (PS3), Shenmue (DC), Shadowrun (Genesis)
#47Hi CPosted 7/8/2014 10:00:38 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
Hi C posted...

If this is true, why don't we see far more bad manners in SC2 than we currently do?

EDIT: I'm not saying battle.net wasn't... interesting back in the day. It was.

Ironically I think Battle.net is far more civil now than it used to be specifically because the MOBA scene took off and the worst of the worst followed it. WoW and Battle.net are still full of wanton idiocy though.

And SC2 is a Korean and hardcore pro thing. OG Starcraft was a cesspool but those people all went to MOBA not SC2.
#48Worknofun370Posted 7/8/2014 10:30:20 AM
Hi C posted...
And SC2 is a Korean and hardcore pro thing. OG Starcraft was a cesspool but those people all went to MOBA not SC2.

I never really had many issues with SC/ SC:BW, and I played it all the way to '07. In the early 2000's is was pretty bad though. Well pretty bad compared to today.
#49chareyPosted 7/8/2014 10:31:59 AM
It's the fact that one bad mistake from a player can cause a game to be lost with needing to stay for the 30 minutes of clean-up as the other team marches towards victory makes it frustrating when you have to stay in a game that you can't win. Also it's far easier to see the mistakes of others then it is to see you own mistakes.

Leaving isn't an option most of the time because if you leave too much you get automated suspensions.

This combined with a view that you don't get banned for bad behavior(It takes a lot before any action is taken) and being anonymous makes it easy to insult your team mates when you view it as "Their fault" that you lost.
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
#50Hi CPosted 7/8/2014 3:49:41 PM
charey posted...
It's the fact that one bad mistake from a player can cause a game to be lost with needing to stay for the 30 minutes of clean-up as the other team marches towards victory makes it frustrating when you have to stay in a game that you can't win. Also it's far easier to see the mistakes of others then it is to see you own mistakes.

Leaving isn't an option most of the time because if you leave too much you get automated suspensions.

This combined with a view that you don't get banned for bad behavior(It takes a lot before any action is taken) and being anonymous makes it easy to insult your team mates when you view it as "Their fault" that you lost.

One bad mistake by a single player could of caused a wipe in an Everquest raid in 1999 which could set off a chain reaction of an 8 hour corpse recovery run, or worse, yet everyone always remained civil. It's not the circumstances it's the people. Spoiled worthless children who are used to having everything go their way and cannot fathom a reality where they actually have to suffer for failing.