This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any way to make Aero not completely suck?

#11SinisterSlayPosted 7/8/2014 6:59:10 AM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Like I said, it's unrelated to performance. It's something that's been broken since Vista, and there's a handful of fixes that supposedly worked for someone at some point, but don't actually seem to do anything anymore. First heard about it when looking for solutions to an unrelated problem with Lost Planet Colonies. Now stuck with it because desktop shadowplay.

Since it's not broken for the vast majority of people, I have to consider it's a problem related to your set up. Not windows itself.

I know many settings break when you have UAC turned off. Could this be one of those?

Could you try turning UAC to max, getting one of those messages, tell it to never see it again, and see if you get another?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12youngfossilPosted 7/8/2014 6:58:52 AM
Whats your specs?
---
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.
#13El MagnificoPosted 7/8/2014 7:13:27 AM
I wouldn't say this is a widespread bug with Aero. Normally, when you go into a full screen game the desktop composition is disabled. When it's properly disabled you won't get the performance error message. Some games don't manage the desktop composition correctly causing it to still run while the game is in full screen mode and that's when you can get the error message. It sounds like Shadowplay is forcing it to stay active since it needs it which is playing a part in your problem.

When your GPU VRAM usage starts to max out and the desktop composition is facing limited VRAM available Windows freaks out and throws that error message. In that scenario, the error is valid since you're running out of VRAM which could be a problem for both Aero and the game. If you need Shadowplay it sounds like the solution is to get a GPU with more VRAM or reduce the game graphics settings so that less VRAM is used.
#14Renraku_SanPosted 7/8/2014 7:58:20 AM
TC is having a PICNIC error and blaming it on Windows.
---
"Free the herb, heal the nation, heal the sick." -Black Uhuru
#15DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 10:59:33 AM
El Magnifico posted...
I wouldn't say this is a widespread bug with Aero. Normally, when you go into a full screen game the desktop composition is disabled. When it's properly disabled you won't get the performance error message. Some games don't manage the desktop composition correctly causing it to still run while the game is in full screen mode and that's when you can get the error message. It sounds like Shadowplay is forcing it to stay active since it needs it which is playing a part in your problem.

When your GPU VRAM usage starts to max out and the desktop composition is facing limited VRAM available Windows freaks out and throws that error message. In that scenario, the error is valid since you're running out of VRAM which could be a problem for both Aero and the game. If you need Shadowplay it sounds like the solution is to get a GPU with more VRAM or reduce the game graphics settings so that less VRAM is used.

This is without shadowplay enabled, actually. I use aero for desktop shadowplay recording, but generally leave it off unless I'm playing something I want to record in a window.
It has also has happened when the game first boots up, using less than 1GB of video memory total.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#16arleasPosted 7/8/2014 11:21:21 AM
Whenever I run into a game that gives me that stupid "Your computer is too slow for Aero" crap, I make sure to disable it on a per-game basis. Just right click on the shortcut and select properties, then compatibility, then choose "disable desktop composition"

http://i.imgur.com/qkH15OJ.jpg

Then when I start the game next time, it disables aero for me. If this does not work for TC then I don't know why. I've had to do it for a handful of games and I've never had a problem with it working, and this includes running from steam and not clicking on a shortcut.

Actually it won't work with a steam shortcut because technically that's a URL (steam://rungameid/blahblahblah) so if it's a steam game you'll have to locate the exe that's being run.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#17SinisterSlayPosted 7/8/2014 11:22:03 AM
arleas posted...
Whenever I run into a game that gives me that stupid "Your computer is too slow for Aero" crap, I make sure to disable it on a per-game basis. Just right click on the shortcut and select properties, then compatibility, then choose "disable desktop composition"

http://i.imgur.com/qkH15OJ.jpg

Then when I start the game next time, it disables aero for me. If this does not work for TC then I don't know why. I've had to do it for a handful of games and I've never had a problem with it working, and this includes running from steam and not clicking on a shortcut.

Actually it won't work with a steam shortcut because technically that's a URL (steam://rungameid/blahblahblah) so if it's a steam game you'll have to locate the exe that's being run.

That would break shadowplay though.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#18arleasPosted 7/8/2014 12:44:51 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
That would break shadowplay though.

Ah.. So shadowplay requires Aero to work? I never use it so I had no idea.

I just did a quick google and apparently someone found a way to make it work without Aero, but then a little more googling insisted that it was a trick/workaround and that it doesn't work anymore. :I

I found this video that gives some confusing instructions on how to make it work...(I think English is not his first language). From what I can tell he's starting shadowplay manually and using the same "disable desktop composition" thing I mentioned.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png