This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does my desktop have the worst specs ever? Is it salvagable?

#1ThamauturgePosted 7/8/2014 8:40:40 AM
CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz
GPU: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit
RAM: 3.3 usable GBs DDR3

And no, I did not pay for this computer. This was given to me for free since it used to be in my grandfather's medical practice. They closed it down, so they offered me a free desktop.

I basically never use desktops, so I was very happy to finally have one. I knew that the specs were probably terrible, but I figured that I could upgrade things if they weren't to my liking.

However, the case size is pretty small, so I was wondering if I could even buy a good CPU and have it fit with the power supply... If I need a new case, CPU, GPU and more RAM then it seems like it would be a better investment to just buy a completely new desktop at some point.

I am getting a new laptop this next week. Haven't decided what exactly yet, but I imagine it will definitely be better than this. Should I just use that instead for some (not really demanding) games and upgrade this computer? Or is this desktop a lost cause?
---
Favorite games: FFXII International, FF Tactics WOTL, Super Smash Bros Melee, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Silent Hill 2
PSN: Thamauturge
#2SinisterSlayPosted 7/8/2014 8:41:15 AM
Your doing better than me and I still use mine.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3Renraku_SanPosted 7/8/2014 8:55:11 AM
It's not a lost cause if you do some indy gaming or older PC games. I don't see this computer running anything modern due to the integrated graphics. It could probably handle games like Morrowind, FEAR, stuff that old. It would die if it tried to run Far Cry 3.

Don't bother spending ANY amount of money on that thing. Oh, it'll easily run emulators too though :)
---
"Free the herb, heal the nation, heal the sick." -Black Uhuru
#4ShubPosted 7/8/2014 9:06:18 AM(edited)
Your choice of CPU upgrades is limited more by what your motherboard supports than by your PSU. So you'll need to figure out what the motherboard is and what CPUs it supports before considering any upgrades.
If it has a PCI Express x16 slot, you could shove a low-end video card like a GTX 750 and get decent gaming performance. That's where the PSU comes in, as it will have to be able to power the video card. Without a video card, the PC is mostly useless outside of the most basic of games.
If the computer is from an OEM (e.g. HP/Dell), did it come with a Windows 7 product key sticker? If yes, you could download a Windows 7 Professional ISO (free and legal). Make sure you get the 64-bit edition as you probably have 4 GB of RAM installed but the 32-bit edition currently installed can't use all of it. Do a clean install of Windows and go from there.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5Renraku_SanPosted 7/8/2014 9:10:13 AM
Shub posted...
Your choice of CPU upgrades is limited more by what your motherboard supports than by your PSU. So you'll need to figure out what the motherboard is and what CPUs it supports before considering any upgrades.
If it has a PCI Express x16 slot, you could shove a low-end video card like a GTX 750 and get decent gaming performance. That's where the PSU comes in, as it will have to be able to power the video card. Without a video card, the PC is mostly useless outside of the most basic of games.
If the computer is from an OEM (e.g. HP/Dell), did it come with a Windows 7 product key sticker? If yes, you could download a Windows 7 Professional ISO (free and legal). Make sure you get the 64-bit edition as you probably have 4 GB of RAM installed but the 32-bit edition currently installed can't use all of it. Do a clean install of Windows and go from there.

The computer most certainly has 4GB of physical memory. Changing from 32bit to 64bit will get them only a few hundred more MB of RAM, so it would be pointless to change without increasing the amount of physical memory as well.
---
#6JKatarnPosted 7/8/2014 9:11:47 AM
Renraku_San posted...
It's not a lost cause if you do some indy gaming or older PC games. I don't see this computer running anything modern due to the integrated graphics. It could probably handle games like Morrowind, FEAR, stuff that old. It would die if it tried to run Far Cry 3.

Don't bother spending ANY amount of money on that thing. Oh, it'll easily run emulators too though :)

Even Morrowind would probably be a slideshow on that Intel Express chipset, and I wouldn't even dream of playing FEAR at absolute lowest settings.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#7ShubPosted 7/8/2014 9:13:16 AM
Renraku_San posted...
The computer most certainly has 4GB of physical memory. Changing from 32bit to 64bit will get them only a few hundred more MB of RAM, so it would be pointless to change without increasing the amount of physical memory as well.

Well my point was more that in years of use, the computer has probably never been formatted and is full of useless data, so my recommendation is do a clean install a Windows, and at the same time you might as well install the 64-bit edition.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8Renraku_SanPosted 7/8/2014 9:17:08 AM
Shub posted...
Renraku_San posted...

Well my point was more that in years of use, the computer has probably never been formatted and is full of useless data, so my recommendation is do a clean install a Windows, and at the same time you might as well install the 64-bit edition.

You can polish a turd....
---
#9ShubPosted 7/8/2014 9:18:58 AM
Renraku_San posted...

It doesn't cost anything, so why not? I shudder to think of the state of a Windows install after years of use by health professionals.
---
-What is best in life?
#10Renraku_SanPosted 7/8/2014 9:24:10 AM
Shub posted...
Renraku_San posted...

It doesn't cost anything, so why not? I shudder to think of the state of a Windows install after years of use by health professionals.

My point is that you can reinstall Windows, but you'll still have a crappy computer that will not run any current-gen games....

However, if he intends to keep this machine for other uses, I definitely agree with you - reinstall Windows to clean it up, good point.
---