This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does my desktop have the worst specs ever? Is it salvagable?

#11WygunPosted 7/8/2014 9:26:40 AM
JKatarn posted...
Renraku_San posted...
It's not a lost cause if you do some indy gaming or older PC games. I don't see this computer running anything modern due to the integrated graphics. It could probably handle games like Morrowind, FEAR, stuff that old. It would die if it tried to run Far Cry 3.

Don't bother spending ANY amount of money on that thing. Oh, it'll easily run emulators too though :)

Even Morrowind would probably be a slideshow on that Intel Express chipset.

I played morrowind on g41 integrated graphics and was playable on lowest draw distance, but yes its not very good.

You can reuse the ram on a new build, but really need a new cpu, which in turn means new motherboard.

Its possible to upgrade the cpu to e7500,e8500 or even a core quad without needing a new board but wont last much longer and i dont think its worth the trouble ,core quad is about as expensive as a current gen cpu but has lower performance.
#12ShubPosted 7/8/2014 9:29:01 AM
Wygun posted...
You can reuse the ram on a new build

Only if it's actually DDR3... My guess is it's going to be DDR2.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#13MaximoomPosted 7/8/2014 9:44:06 AM
I think he mention it being DDR3 on the post.
---
Asus P8H61-MLE/BR | i5 3470 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3TEC 500Rve 500W Bronze | Samsung 32" LCD 1080p.
#14ShubPosted 7/8/2014 9:45:36 AM
Oh right, yep, my bad.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15WygunPosted 7/8/2014 9:53:15 AM
Shub posted...
Wygun posted...
You can reuse the ram on a new build

Only if it's actually DDR3... My guess is it's going to be DDR2.

The lasts core duo2 boards had dd3 support. My e7500 used ddr3 (p5g41 board )while my e4500 used ddr2 ( no idea what kind of motherboard was).
#16ShubPosted 7/8/2014 9:54:28 AM
^ You're right, but as you said, it was only toward the end of the LGA775 lifecycle, so I generally expect/assume most of them to run DDR2.
---
-What is best in life?
#17Thamauturge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 10:07:02 AM(edited)
You guys are very helpful! I appreciate. Disappointed that my GPU is integrated though; I was under the impression that I could just swap the GPU for something better if I had the money.

Also, I actually do own WIN 7, and I believe that I have my product key for 64 bit on the computer, but it was reinstalled beforeI got it so upgrading without an increase in RAM might not be worth the trouble.
---
Favorite games: FFXII International, FF Tactics WOTL, Super Smash Bros Melee, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Silent Hill 2
PSN: Thamauturge
#18ShubPosted 7/8/2014 10:06:11 AM
Thamauturge posted...
You guys are very helpful! I appreciate. Disappointed that my GPU is integrated though; I was under the impression that I could just swap the GPU for something better if I had the money.

Having an integrated solution doesn't mean you can't use something else. You can't swap the integrated solution since it's attached to the motherboard, but you can simply override it by installing a video card, like I mentioned in an earlier post.
---
-What is best in life?
#19Thamauturge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 10:08:52 AM
Shub posted...

Having an integrated solution doesn't mean you can't use something else. You can't swap the integrated solution since it's attached to the motherboard, but you can simply override it by installing a video card, like I mentioned in an earlier post.

I definitely should have remembered this from Computer Engineering! Definitely rings a bell now that you mention it. How do I know what video card would be compatible?
---
Favorite games: FFXII International, FF Tactics WOTL, Super Smash Bros Melee, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Silent Hill 2
PSN: Thamauturge
#20ShubPosted 7/8/2014 10:10:28 AM
If you have a PCI Express x16 slot, you can use any PCI Express x16 card, although I wouldn't recommend spending more than $100, given the age of the CPU, and not without first checking what the PSU can handle.
---
-What is best in life?