This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who, in your opinion, is the Grandfather of RPGs?

#1AlphaWhelpPosted 7/8/2014 4:34:56 PM
Which of these original games was the most influential in shaping the RPG genre today? - Results (128 votes)
Ultima
75% (96 votes)
Wizardry
17.97% (23 votes)
Rogue
7.03% (9 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So, these are what I like to call the big 3. Virtually any modern RPG can have its roots traced back to one of these 3 games. Here are some examples of games that they inspired.

Ultima
Early Dragon Quest games. Gothic series. Magic Candle. Baldur's Gate. Icewind Dale. Planescape: Torment. Virtually all SRPGs such as Gold Box games, Dark Sun games, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Spiderweb's entire catalog. Ultima also gave us Ultima Underworld which led to The Elder Scrolls. Ultima also gave us Ultima Online which, while not the first MMORPG, was the most influential in early MMO culture, and it heavily inspired all Sandbox MMOs to come after it like Eve Online.

Wizardry
Final Fantasy and the traditional JRPG (later Dragon Quest games, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, etc). Might & Magic. The Bard's Tale classic. Eye of the Beholder series. Legend of Grimrock. Menzoberranzan. Class of Heroes. Etrian Odyssey.

Rogue
Roguelikes everywhere. Nethack. Dungeons of Dredmor. Diablo and all of its clones. Divine/Beyond Divinity. Sacred. Dungeon Siege. Ragnarok/Valhalla. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Izuna. Any game with turn based movement such as Eschalon, Deadly Rooms of Death, etc.

If you're thinking about being funny and trying to vote for Dungeons and Dragons, both Ultima and Wizardry were interpretations of Dungeons and Dragons as a video game, so vote for one of those.
---
Q: How can you tell when I'm trolling? A: I've made a post.
My first Java Applet: http://www.alphawhelp.com/tongue/
#2KidInTheHallPosted 7/8/2014 4:35:55 PM
The Elder Scrolls.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#3MELENTIAPosted 7/8/2014 4:45:56 PM
I'd say Zelda.
#4ShubPosted 7/8/2014 4:48:01 PM
Final Fantasy 7.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5Orestes417Posted 7/8/2014 4:48:28 PM
I find your lack of Akalabeth unamusing
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#6AlphaWhelp(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 4:49:41 PM
Orestes417 posted...
I find your lack of Akalabeth unamusing

A vote for Akalabeth is a vote for Ultima, even though Akalabeth came first, Richard Garriot was clearly not happy with it because he couldn't do everything he wanted to do.
---
Q: How can you tell when I'm trolling? A: I've made a post.
My first Java Applet: http://www.alphawhelp.com/tongue/
#7AsucaHayashiPosted 7/8/2014 4:58:59 PM
Shub posted...
Final Fantasy 7.

this.

FF7 put rpgs on the map.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#8grampamurkedPosted 7/8/2014 5:02:24 PM
Zelda
---
Xbox GT: Grampa Murked U Steam ID: grampamurkedu PSN ID: GRAMPAMURKEDU
#9chris121691Posted 7/8/2014 5:11:41 PM
Zelda imo..Although everyone will say it isn't an rpg
#10GarquillPosted 7/8/2014 5:13:23 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
Shub posted...
Final Fantasy 7.

this.

FF7 put rpgs on the map.

lol
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein