This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you feel Divinity Original Sin is being over rated?

#101easymodexzPosted 7/14/2014 10:19:18 AM
Do you feel Divinity Original Sin is being over rated?

The spam on this board indicates a multiple-level attempt to troll IMO. As a result I don't consider this board indicative of D:OS's "rating" in order to gauge whether it is overrated or not.

Overall I was mildly interested in it yesterday ... and I guess I'm still mildly interested in it today.
#102Rammstein_TillPosted 7/14/2014 10:42:01 AM
I haven't played it, but I did buy it for three main reasons

1. really good word of mouth.

2. crowd funded., appropriately priced

3. not made by a money sucking dev/pub, Ex.. $70 + $40DLC for a subpar game.

I just wanted to support this game and their hard work, bringing what alot of people are saying is the best rpg in the last decade.
---
GT~ Jack Mack 89
| i7 4770k | Asus Formula IV | Asus 780ti OC | Gskill 16gb @ 1866 | Corsair1200i PSU | Cooler H110 |
#103Knighted Dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 7:56:06 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
so you won't find anything like D2's summoning necro

Why though? Why does no game have a good summoner? I don't want one kind of sort of decent pet that is okay at best. I don't want to sit in the back throwing out AOE DoT spells or "plague" theme spells. I want to sit in the back summoning a horde of minions that kill everything in sight through sheer numbers.

One day, one day a game will come out with a decent summoner. The last game that had a necro I liked was Fable 2, and then they removed it entirely in Fable 3 for no reason what so ever
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#104DaedalusExPosted 7/14/2014 8:33:52 PM
Knighted Dragon posted...
Why though? Why does no game have a good summoner?

Probably because it's too passive, particularly when your summons are AI controlled.
#105WormBoi3Posted 7/14/2014 9:05:38 PM
I still want to play it but I'm holding off till I clear my backlog some more.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#106DV8ingSourcesPosted 7/14/2014 9:27:06 PM(edited)
Not really. Not as of yet anyways. Nearly 40 hours into the game and I've only completed the first map and very little of the second. I did restart around hour 6 due to some poor builds from lack of experience with the battle mechanics. I'm also sure the first map (of 4) was the most condensed and probably the most challenging due to how weak you start and how powerful you can get, but I should still easily surpass 100 hours. That's one heck of a feat for me these days. I like it more than pretty much all crpg's before it. Don't get me wrong, its not perfect and many of those older rpgs did certain aspects better, but as a whole, I'm more engrossed in this experience than I was for most of those. I hate min-maxing and this game on normal allows for some roleplaying while still remaining challenging (on normal and in my case only 3 characters rather than 4) enough to warrant some satisfaction. I can easily see myself playing it a couple more times in the future trying out some silly builds.

The game has weak companions and could have used a lot more work there (only 2 as of now that actually have unique dialogue options). Still the world is incredibly detailed with a ton to see and do. The combat is refreshing and well done although as expected, there are some balance issues regarding certain talents and combinations but that's up to the player if they choose to exploit those. Overall its the return to old school crpg goodness that I wanted. Hopefully wasteland 2 and pillars of eternity manage to impress as this game has.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#107Knighted Dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 7:57:42 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
Knighted Dragon posted...
Why though? Why does no game have a good summoner?

Probably because it's too passive, particularly when your summons are AI controlled.

It's so much more fun though IMO. I'd much rather just kite around throwing out fodder than kite around doing DoT plague theme spells. Only a few games have that kind of style even as a side option. Games like Guild Wars 2 have Necromancers with pets, but the pets are trash and you have to use conditions (DoT basically) to do anything, which is flat out useless in PvE. Pretty similar with the Witch Doctor in Diablo 3. That's the closest to a decent summoner we've had in a while, but he's still terrible compared to an actual summoner
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#108leon_trunksPosted 7/18/2014 12:10:06 AM
I am playing Divine Divinity right now and man, that game is much much better than Diablo II. Where D2 seems to have aged some and you can see it clearly, Div Div looks like a game that might have released no more than 5 years ago. A game ahead of its time to say the least.
#109NateRose89Posted 7/19/2014 1:35:37 PM
I don't think the people who are calling it overrated can truly claim they've played it. It's the type of game where even if it's not your cup of tea, you truly can't deny what it's accomplished here. For a relatively low budget, Larian have created an amazing game in a genre that had been flat on it's a** for 10 years.
---
PSN ID: rockstock89