This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you feel Divinity Original Sin is being over rated?

#21-5xad0w-Posted 7/9/2014 2:08:11 PMmessage detail
Might be a bit over hype, it's a great game and a shining example of a crowd funded product done right.

I just think for many people it kind of came out of nowhere.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#22AnimorganimatePosted 7/9/2014 2:15:03 PMmessage detail
DieForMotherLand posted...
Played it during the beta and I just finished it. It IS Game of the Year quality IMO. I never had this much fun in an RPG since playing Vampire: Masquerade Bloodlines in 2004.

The story is meh though, but it's told well enough.

My thoughts exactly. Except I can replace "Vampire: Masquerade Bloodlines" with "Arcanum" (one of my favorite CRPGs).

And the story is just fine in my opinion. It's a classic "ultimate evil" type story that isn't original to the fantasy-genre, but certain aspects of it are told really well, like the whole murder conspiracy at the beginning.

It's too bad the deserved hype is turning some people off, but the bottom line is if you like classic CRPGs at all, you'll like Divinity: Original Sin. It really is that simple.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#23KURRUPTORPosted 7/9/2014 2:42:36 PMmessage detail
Boge posted...
dekou posted...
It's pretty much the only good game of its kind we've gotten since DA:O. The rest doesn't really matter. If you're a fan of the genre, you should be playing Original Sin and hoping Pillars of Eternity will be even better. And well, it's a popular genre. I don't know why publishers don't seem to get that.

If it's not THE most popular genre, developers don't want to bother. It's FPS Call of Duty style or nothing! That's where the $$$$ is!! <--their thinking, not mine.

Idk DA:O sold a lot of copies, when there is a good game in the genre the fans buy it and spread the word about it then the people that aren't even fans of the genre check it out to see what the fuss is all about.

I haven't played divinity yet but I would love another old school type rpg that does a good job with the modernization aspects (a lot of games just dumb everything down for the sake of making it more modern). I'm looking forward to trying it but just don't have enough spare time towarrant buying a game like it right now.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#24SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/9/2014 3:19:07 PMmessage detail(edited)
I haven't played it since very late beta(i think 10 days before release), but my impressions are pretty low for it. Only played an hour though, since I somehow got sucked back into Borderlands 2 lately.

Just keep in mind, if we're going back 10 years, it's going up against KOTOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Drakensang. 5 years and it's going up against the other Drakensang games, the new Shadowrun game and Dragon Age.

There's also the Risen games, where I'm not sure where they fall into year-wise, and Jade Empire, Alpha Protocol and the Mass Effect games if you consider them in the same category.

From what I've played of it though, I doubt it will beat out NWN2, KOTOR 2 or Drakensang for me personally.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#25Knighted Dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 4:05:57 PMmessage detail
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Yep. There it is. Reddit's only real contribution to the internet. A term that shuts down any conversation.

Lol what? You know that term existed decades and decades before Reddit right? That terms been around since at least the 70's, and probably earlier than that
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#26stmstrPosted 7/9/2014 4:10:43 PMmessage detail
Knighted Dragon posted...
Yep. There it is. Reddit's only real contribution to the internet. A term that shuts down any conversation.

Lol what? You know that term existed decades and decades before Reddit right? That terms been around since at least the 70's, and probably earlier than that

And Edison didn't invent the light bulb, yet he gets credit for it because he brought it to the masses.
#27KURRUPTORPosted 7/9/2014 4:37:35 PMmessage detail
stmstr posted...
Knighted Dragon posted...

And Edison didn't invent the light bulb, yet he gets credit for it because he brought it to the masses.

He didn't invent anything except the patent, then just stole a bunch of others peoples work because they didn't have said patent. A real American hero.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#28AnimorganimatePosted 7/9/2014 4:59:00 PMmessage detail
Sinfullyvannila posted...
I doubt it will beat out NWN2, KOTOR 2 or Drakensang for me personally.

You might be surprised. I certainly was, and judging by the sales and reviews, a lot of other people were too. I think Divinity: Original Sin is at least as good as many of the CRPGs you listed, if not more fun than some of them. It's seriously moved towards the top 5 of my favorite CRPGs. Maybe you should give it more than an hour of your time before you form a full fledged opinion.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#29Bigj089Posted 7/9/2014 4:59:38 PMmessage detail
Yes, not by a lot though.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#30yarsPosted 7/9/2014 5:07:58 PMmessage detail
dekou posted...
It's pretty much the only good game of its kind we've gotten since DA:O. The rest doesn't really matter. If you're a fan of the genre, you should be playing Original Sin and hoping Pillars of Eternity will be even better. And well, it's a popular genre. I don't know why publishers don't seem to get that.

sadly, pillars of eternity will suck, if only because it went with the god awful rtwp battle system.
---
My whole life has been a miserable pig filled ordeal because of you.