This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you feel Divinity Original Sin is being over rated?

#61ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/10/2014 8:55:22 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
I have been using the word circle jerk since before the world wide web existed.

Knighted Dragon posted...
Most people who use it have, it's why it made it to the internet in the first place.

You people are riding Reddit pretty hard. Your reading comprehension also needs some serious work.

It's pretty pathetic, because I typed exactly what I meant, and yet you kiddies can't grasp some simple concepts.
#62KhelThuzadPosted 7/10/2014 9:11:16 PM
Born Lucky posted...

Easy way to answer that question.

Why don't you name 5 RPGs of the past 5 years that are better than Divinity.

If you can't, then no . . . . it's not over rated.

I feel you hit the nail there. I'm a RPG addict and I can honestly say, almost all RPGs released in the last 5-6 years have been cr**. I'm a huge fan of Fallout. and Fo3 (while good) is not the fallout I expected. I think MMORPG have to take the blame for that. Especially the 'free' MMORPGs.

And when I saw DOS, I had that peculiar shiver that i got while playing Baldur's gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape Torment. I'm not expecting the title to be that good. But now I can finally play a rather good rpg.
---
Trolling? Better get the facts right or get owned.
#63IckeryyPosted 7/10/2014 10:14:31 PM(edited)
Didnt circle jerk before the internet mean a group of boys that....? You know...

And its hard to judge rpgs by trailers. Unless it has nice music
#64AnimorganimatePosted 7/10/2014 10:34:21 PM
KhelThuzad posted...
Born Lucky posted...

Easy way to answer that question.

Why don't you name 5 RPGs of the past 5 years that are better than Divinity.

If you can't, then no . . . . it's not over rated.

And when I saw DOS, I had that peculiar shiver that i got while playing Baldur's gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape Torment. I'm not expecting the title to be that good. But now I can finally play a rather good rpg.

Surprisingly, it almost is as good as those . . . depending on how thick your nostalgia glasses are. I love all things oldschool cRPG, and I find D:OS to be just as good as the first Baldur's Gate, and although the story can't touch Planescape's (because what can?), it's more fun to play.

I think this is what's freaking people out. Everyone keeps automatically dismissing how good Divinity can be without trying it, and preparing for it to fall short. I think if you try it, it might be a contender for your favorites list. It really is that fun.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#65chandl34Posted 7/10/2014 10:41:53 PM
Just started playing it today. The combat is good. There's a lot of environment interaction, like Breath of Fire 5. I had to kite the boss of the first dungeon with my ranger + cleric, so the battles aren't pushovers.

The story is uninteresting so far.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#66Knighted Dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2014 5:38:54 AM
chandl34 posted...
The combat is good.

How's the turn based part? That's the biggest thing that kills me on the game, I've never liked turn based combat in RPGs. I like some turn based games like Eador and Civilization, but in RPGs it's always so meh to me
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#67chandl34Posted 7/11/2014 7:10:30 AM
chandl34 posted...
The combat is good.

How's the turn based part? That's the biggest thing that kills me on the game, I've never liked turn based combat in RPGs. I like some turn based games like Eador and Civilization, but in RPGs it's always so meh to me

Did you ever play Fallout 1/2, Breath of Fire 5, Expeditions: Conquistadors, original XCOM, or Jagged Alliance 2? It uses a similar Action Point/Time Unit system. There are spells, but not mana points; your spells are all on timers. There seems to be a lot of one-time scroll usage.

The environment can be interacted with (both in and out of combat) to create fire, ice, and poison. These do DoT damage, and enemies have different weaknesses to them.

I'm only level 3 now, but there seems to be a lot of character customization for combat skills.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#68chandl34Posted 7/11/2014 5:28:19 PM(edited)
Playing it more today. You really gotta take advantage of those elemental environment tricks; these battles are too difficult to brute force with my characters.

One major beef I've got with the game so far: my characters keep forgetting the quickbar spells I set up, and movement doesn't require a confirmation click.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#69Xero KaiserPosted 7/11/2014 5:28:06 PM
I'm loving DOS myself. Haven't felt this way about a RPG since Neverwinter Nights. I don't know why so many people on GameFAQs are so eager to dismiss it as overhyped. This is not a game that rode a massive hype train leading to its release. This is the rare game that's selling itself purely on it's own merit. I don't see how you can accuse DOS of being overhyped at all.
#70SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/11/2014 10:34:22 PM(edited)
This may be the best turn-based combat ever. No exaggeration, it simply is just that good.

My only problem is that melee combat's accuracy is a bit too low, and there are minimal ways to increase it. It's an issue because Man-at-arms skills don't really have a terrain component, have high cooldowns and low damage.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}