This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you feel Divinity Original Sin is being over rated?

#81SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/12/2014 5:01:51 PM(edited)
DaedalusEx posted...
Sinfullyvannila posted...
I highly disagree. One of my main's is the "Wayfarer" class which is non-archetypical, and she does extremely well. "Viability" isn't that much of an issue really, as combat comes down to handling your environment and the benefits of specializing are mitigated because of the price of skillbooks, and that you get diminishing returns on the number of skills per rank.

How far are you into the game? I'm not very far, but it seems incredibly inefficient to go for physical damage + spells, due to each being governed by different stats.

Fighting the first major boss now, the person who murdered Jake.

Keep playing, you'll see that options>damage.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#82Knighted Dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 12:15:06 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
-Rigid class system. Due to how attributes govern skills and the limited amount of points you receive, it's difficult to build a viable multi-class, thus forcing the player into an archetype. This could change later on, though
-Lack of movement grid. It's cool that they got rid of grid based combat, but I often find myself playing "find the magic pixel" to maximize movement distance and such

These two sound terrible. I don't mind dedicated roles that much, but only when there are good options I actually like, which few games have for some reason. The grid combat part sounds terrible though, has that part improved since you've put more time into it or is it still annoying
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#83SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/13/2014 2:59:14 PM(edited)
Well, he's absolutely mistaken about the rigid class system on every level FYI. The game is by definition strictly classless and there are benefits to both specializing and generalizing, and lots of specialized henchmen(no idea why someone would want a WHOLE party of generalists), so there's not really any reason why a generalist wouldn't be viable. Optimal =/= viable.

The lack of a movement grid would be fine if there were a confirm or undo move option. I don't think the elemental fields would work well on a grid, but it is really annoying when you misclick and waste AP or put yourself in a bad situation.
---
#84Knighted Dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 4:45:36 PM
Is there any kind of a necromancer / summoner class? That's my favorite play style but almost no game has it, and what games do have terrible ones. I hate DoT stacking classes but for some stupid reason modern games have the idea that a summoner just uses DoT while occasionally throwing out a useless pet that does 4 damage and dies in one hit
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#85SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/13/2014 5:02:51 PM(edited)
It's classless. The class terms people use are just points of reference. There are no classes, but I think what you want is someone with Witchcraft and Earth skills. I don't know too much about Witchcraft skills though, haven't found a vendor for them yet. I know Earth has a Summon Spider pet and Air has a Summon Air Elemental though. The Spider is really useful, it's big so it's great for blocking ranged attacks, and it has a decent number of HP and does respectable damage. The Air Elemental I just summoned from a scroll and it died really quickly, but that's probably because of the manner of summoning.

EDIT-The starting "Witch" Character has Witchcraft and Earth Skills. She gets the Summon Spider pet, a buff that gives +50% damage and a spell that gives a very high chance for bleeding.

If you want to, you can customize that character, take away a point of something(probably Willpower, since she has a talent that reduces Buff/Debuff duration on her, and take a rank in Pyromancy(if you want to get rid of the bleeding skill) or Aeromancy(because Blood works as a conductor for electricity). I'd recommend keeping her as is and just picking up a rank of Aeromancy for direct damage spells.
---
#86samuraigaidenPosted 7/13/2014 4:53:12 PM
I'm playing it and I like it very much. It's very well made, with tons of details on every corner. At heart, it's an old-school CRPG, but there's a lot of modern ideas in there too. It's not the new Planescape Torment, but it's the best CRPG I've played in a LONG time.
#87DaedalusExPosted 7/14/2014 8:30:46 AM
Updated critique:

-Character "traits," which are bonuses granted by the choices you make, are an interesting idea but ultimately flawed since it links min-maxing with roleplaying. In other words, if you're going for max character performance you have to respond to dialogue options in a prespecified way. Additionally, since the game doesn't tell you what effect your choice will have, it's possible to choose the "wrong" answer and gain a trait that isn't useful for your character or lose a useful one that you had

-Since it's so easy to steal right in front of people without getting caught, and there doesn't seem to be any consequence for it, there's little reason not to steal everything in sight. Combined with the bartering skill, money is almost a non-issue

-Intimidate, charm, and reason are identical gameplay wise as far I can tell, and are all governed by the same ability, making their distinction arbitrary. Additionally, dialogues that use these abilities seem to be rather rare/not terribly imporant, which makes the Charisma ability underwhelming

-Crafting system is a nightmare due to lack of proper interface, lots of guesswork involved but fortunately many of the combines are intuitive

-I mostly retract my previous complaints about the lack of movement grid after discovering that spending an action point to move allows you to move the full distance granted by that action point, even if you don't do so in one action. For example, if your character can move 2m per action point and you spend 2 action points to move 3.5m, you can move again up to 0.5m without any AP cost. However, I still find myself tweaking positions to exploit max ranges

-Class system becomes less restrictive as game goes on, in fact it might not be restrictive enough since a versatile class seems vastly superior to a specialized class due to the diminishing returns on ability point investment; end result is a lot of overlap between characters

Overall I am thoroughly enjoying the game. The combat is top notch, maybe even the most engaging combat system I've ever seen due to environment and ability interaction. I'm also particularly pleased with the main quest, which isn't simply "go here, do this" but actually requires some thought and personal investigation.
#88DaedalusExPosted 7/14/2014 8:34:15 AM
Knighted Dragon posted...
Is there any kind of a necromancer / summoner class? That's my favorite play style but almost no game has it, and what games do have terrible ones. I hate DoT stacking classes but for some stupid reason modern games have the idea that a summoner just uses DoT while occasionally throwing out a useless pet that does 4 damage and dies in one hit

Characters can only have one summon at a time on the field, so you won't find anything like D2's summoning necro. However, the summons themselves are pretty powerful. You can also buff them to make them stronger. A character that had a variety of summons for different situations and buffs to compliment them would probably be pretty viable.
#89clowningPosted 7/14/2014 8:47:28 AM
Frankly, it seems to me like they hired a bunch of kids to drown the internet in "this game is great!" posts. It's a bit silly.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#90KillerTrufflePosted 7/14/2014 9:06:23 AM
I'll admit that it's been getting a lot more hype/publicity lately than I typically prefer to see (oversaturation can be a bad thing), but I do have the game, have been playing it, and it's really quite good. It's much more open than games like Baldur's Gate, in that you can talk to and trade with virtually everyone, and you're not restricted to specific character classes - any character has the potential to learn any skill (from what I've been able to tell anyway), effectively letting you create your own custom classes.

The game also is more open in its mechanics. For instance, electricity flows through standing/pooled liquid, so anyone standing in that pool will get shocked. I think it was PC Gamer that just ran an article about how they accidentally fried their own party by hitting a skeleton with an electricity spell, only to have it jump from the skeleton to the pool of blood it was standing in, and from the pool of blood to everyone *else* standing in the blood - which was pretty much their whole party. Who the heck thinks about killing a monster and then having to worry about avoiding the blood that drains out of it after it dies, just so you can avoid transfer damage from an electricity spell?

Unexpected - yet logical - things like that are why it's such an interesting game. It's far more flexible than most other RPGs I've played.

So while I'd love to see the hype die down a *little* bit, I'd still say it's definitely a good game and worth the praise.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23