This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you feel Divinity Original Sin is being over rated?

#91chandl34Posted 7/14/2014 8:51:10 AM(edited)
I'm enjoying the game. Most of my complaints about the game are for technical problems:

Slow selection detection:
- It takes 2-3 seconds of hovering your mouse over an enemy for the game to select the enemy. If you click too early (which you will until you train yourself not to), your character will run to the opposite side of the enemy.

Enemies can be unselectable behind terrain:
- Enemies hiding behind the bushes or hidden behind your characters can become completely unselectable. This means you have to move or let the enemy move so you can fight them again. AEs still work of course, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Bad path-finding:
- A few times, I've clicked behind my character to make a short retreat, but the game considers the clicked area out of bounds. Instead of walking my character closer to the spot I clicked, the character runs in the opposite direction.

No confirmation click, everything is 100% left mouse button:
- It's incredibly easy to accidentally steal or move a character with a stray mouse click. Trying to take the back entrance into Thelyron's house had me stealing through the roof many times. This is an even bigger problem in battle.

Turns auto-end when all AP is used:
- I walk my character a few steps, click "end turn" with mouse... oops-- I've just ended the next character's turn by mistake.

Crashes often during saving, leading to a corrupted save. Map often loses its texture and goes black. Saving/loading take a long time.

The whole chaining characters idea is dumb. Why can't I have a selection box? I can't even left-click a character to select them. Doing that makes me talk to them, or makes my character walk in battle.

Actions before battle have very little bearing, unlike Baldur's Gate. I can't sneak up to someone and attack them and have the damage stick (unless it's a killing blow). I can't pre-summon my elemental into the middle of a group, because all characters jump into formation when the battle starts. The elemental ends up in a completely different spot. I can't even really position my characters around a battlefield, because they always jump into formation.

The inventory system is a mess. So I open one character's inventory, but the quick buttons at the bottom are for another character? That gets confusing fast. I can't equip armor onto another character from someone else's inventory. I have to drop the item in their inventory first.

The storyline is kinda lame. For example, in the scene before the boss of Cyseal : Thelyron is involved-- okay, that's fine, but Jake?? C'mon, your big reveal went from reasonable to stupid pretty darn fast.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#92KillerTrufflePosted 7/14/2014 8:50:01 AM(edited)
chandl34 posted...
Enemies can be unselectable behind terrain:
- Enemies hiding behind the bushes or hidden behind your characters can become completely unselectable. This means you have to move or let the enemy move so you can fight them again. AEs still work of course, but that shouldn't be necessary.

I'm not so sure this is a bug. It sounds to me like a cover system working as it should - if you have no line of sight to an enemy with a particular character, why would you be able to directly target them? AOE would indeed work fine, but if your character can't directly see an enemy, I see no reason they should be able to direct target that enemy... Cover works the same way for you too. Makes total sense to me.

chandl34 posted...
The whole chaining characters idea is dumb. Why can't I have a selection box? I can't even left-click a character to select them. Doing that makes me talk to them, or makes my character walk in battle.

This also isn't a technical problem so much as just the way they chose to do the interface. I actually took fairly little time to adapt. Characters are automatically "unchained" for battle and can move independently, and I've had very few times outside of battle so far where I wanted to unchain them. And it took no time at all to get used to clicking the character portrait of whichever character I want to be in the lead.

I will agree that the inventory system could use some polish tho - a lot of what it does doesn't seem all that logical, and I haven't quite figured out why it does some of the things it does, like problems you've described.

EDIT: I'll also say that the delay in selecting enemies (or anything, really) when you hover the cursor over them might just be your computer. Not saying it for sure is, but I'm running the game on a 2500k, 8GB RAM, and a 560 Ti, and the delay for me is somewhere between half a second and a second. Nowhere near 2-3 as you say.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#93chandl34Posted 7/14/2014 8:52:04 AM(edited)
The unselectable enemies is definitely a bug. You can have unselectable enemies, just by them being covered by your own characters. I got a zombie stuck close to Madora once-- no terrain blocking him, just Madora-- and couldn't click on him no matter how much I messed with the camera. Remember, you take opportunity hits walking away from them or may have to walk through fire/poison. That's a pretty big problem.

Just because chaining is easy to get used to doesn't make it a good design.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#94KillerTrufflePosted 7/14/2014 8:53:01 AM
chandl34 posted...
The unselectable enemies is definitely a bug. You can have unselectable enemies, just by them being covered by your own characters. I got a zombie stuck close to Madora once and couldn't click on him no matter how much I messed with the camera. Remember, you take opportunity hits walking away from them or may have to walk through fire/poison. That's a pretty big problem.

Just because chaining is easy to get used to doesn't make it a good design.

I'm still unconvinced. Say you and I are fighting an enemy (IRL). You're an archer, I'm a warrior. I step between you and the enemy. Should you realistically be able to target that enemy through me? No - either you or I will need to move for you to get a shot. Just because *I* have full view of the enemy and can freely attack does nothing for *your* shot - the enemy is effectively taking cover behind me. If you were to throw a grenade or something just beyond the enemy, it's definitely going to hit him, even tho you didn't target him directly - which is also in line with what you've said - AOE works, but not direct targeting.

I still don't see that as a bug. It sounds to me like it's working exactly as it should.
---
#95chandl34Posted 7/14/2014 8:56:55 AM(edited)
Have you ever played another turn-based tactical game that did that? Every other game has a grid or bases the selection off a radius from the character's feet. Imagine playing Jagged Alliance 2 where you can't attack enemies behind walls.

If we're talking about realism, Madora should definitely be able to see the zombie standing at her feet! She couldn't attack it.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#96KillerTrufflePosted 7/14/2014 8:59:19 AM
Yes I have, but I'm not comparing this to those. Just because other games may do it that way doesn't mean this one has to, or that it's a bug. It's just a difference in the cover system.

If you're saying a melee character couldn't attack an enemy standing right in front of them, then that may be a bug. But for ranged attacks, the cover system absolutely makes sense, and I have no issue at all with it working the way it does. If anything, I would actually call it more advanced than other tactical turn-based shooters.
---
#97chandl34Posted 7/14/2014 9:10:29 AM(edited)
It's not a cover system. It's a model selection problem. Melee characters can't attack enemies they're standing right next to. Last night I knocked a bandit unconscious in the bushes. Before he fell, I could select him with my melee character, after he fell... nothing. I wouldn't consider that realism.

This kind of stuff doesn't happen every battle, but having enemies that are difficult to select usually does.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#98KillerTrufflePosted 7/14/2014 9:08:25 AM
I haven't run into that sort of issue yet, so that may be a bug. Or it could just be an unintended consequence of the cover system, with the game thinking that the bush is actually hiding him.

If that's happening, yeah, cover could use a bit of tweaking, but from your initial description, I hope they *don't* change it. If you have an enemy with cover between them and one of your ranged characters, you shouldn't be able to directly target that enemy with that character until they've moved enough that the enemy is exposed *to them*. It doesn't matter if another of your characters can see the enemy or not.
---
#99chandl34Posted 7/14/2014 9:13:27 AM
Again, it's not a cover system. I have my mouse on the enemy, but it's selecting the wrong model. This includes if my character is in the way, or a door, or whatever. The bounds of the other objects are off, so the enemy is more difficult to select.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#100TropicMoon10Posted 7/14/2014 9:16:02 AM(edited)
Not overrated. I have no interest in the game so I can't comment on the quality. But all this talk is making me sick of it. This is not the proper board to discuss it over and over and over and over again.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg