This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why have Turn-Based RPG's faded away?

#11BuyersRemorse55Posted 7/9/2014 8:11:05 AM(edited)
As an olde timer myself I just feel like real time combat is an evolution of the genre. It has nothing to do with appealing to the cod crowd. It can be done nowadays so it is done.

I think a lot of you forgot is that turn based combat was also critized heavily for a while there. I think in the later PS1/PS2 era I seem to remember allt he big reviwers complaining about boring combat and same old stuff.

Anyways, bottom like, there should be both so you can play what you want. Sometimes turn based is fun and some times you want more action

All it takes is one popular game and youll get a bunch of copy cats.
#12Yorozuya_GinPosted 7/9/2014 8:12:40 AM
Animorganimate posted...
Divinity: Original Sin.

/end topic

---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwcRIeU54tc
Goblins!!! AC:NL Dream Address: 5700-3596-4777
#13Puckswack12Posted 7/9/2014 8:12:43 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
They don't make for good gameplay trailers. And they don't attract the call of duty crowd.

There is however a lot of indie games that are turn based, you just have to look.

---
Yup
#14jake-sfPosted 7/9/2014 8:15:23 AM(edited)
I still see good turn based RPGs.

Its a LOT harder to find an RPG worth a damn in gameplay that is not turn based. Its easy to make turn based work, but most real time game are garbage or made dumb on purpose.

I mean, I have no idea why you're complaining. This niche is still alive.

Hi C posted...
SythisTaru posted...
Seems like more turn-based RPG's are released than real-time/immersive ones these days, I don't like it actually.

I always found Fallout 1 and 2 far more immersing than FO3.

Thats just because FO3 is garbage.

Its crazy how few quality RPGs we get that are not turn-based. Its the whole problem, when they ARE real time, they seem to target the dude bros or the casual crowd.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#15luigi33Posted 7/9/2014 9:09:32 AM
Animorganimate posted...
Divinity: Original Sin.

/end topic

Wasteland 2,

Project Eternity,

Torment: Tides of Numenera,

Dead State

/end topic
---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 760]
Steam ID: xcyper33
#16Unbridled9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 9:23:22 AM
I've never heard of any of those games. Sides, I know that TBS games HAVE been released. They just don't seem anywhere near as popular or common as they once were and I want to know why.

Hi C posted...
Pursuit of the lowest common denominator.

Why did turn based strategy all but disappear in the late 90's? Publishers wanted to go after the non strategy action crowd so they pushed RTS.

Why did classic DND tactical and dungeon crawler based RPG's disappear in the late 90's? Publishers wanted to go after the action crowd so they pushed action and RTS style (Badurs Gate) rpgs.

The people they were targeting were not fans of rpgs or strategy games they were just a bigger pool of potential buyers so they were sold mechanics.

That seems likely. Developers wanted to get in on the Dudebro shooters and casual gaming market, so the TBS was left abandoned.
---
The enemy of knowledge is ignorance, not religion.
#17L0rdCrumpPosted 7/9/2014 9:55:55 AM
Divinity Original Sin.
---
|--|o\/o|-|~ Can't let you do that, Star Fox!~~~|
|--\_O/--|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
#18leonodoPosted 7/9/2014 10:09:06 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Turn based RPGs were actually largely prominent due to technical and physical limitations of the target platforms, as well as problems of design and the available tools.
As these limitations faded away, so did the need for turn based games.

Especially in the case of JRPGs, since combat often boiled down to "buff, debuff, attack until dead, heal when necessary", there was very little reason to stick to the turn based design, which essentially just wasted time.

Pretty much. I tolerate turn based combat because these games generally have a fun wacky story and I love all the character development and party banter, but yeah, I tolerate it.
This is why I love tales of so much: fun party members AND fun combat
---
Sunshine is overrated...
Pokemon x FC: 0130-2593-2107 Pokemon trainer name: Safyrya
#19GoIrish80Posted 7/9/2014 10:12:45 AM
Probably not the best time to make a topic like this considering a really, REALLY great turn based RPG was just released.
#20Bane766Posted 7/9/2014 10:18:25 AM
There is a LOT less than there used to be.

The reason for the decline in JRPG's is that, in Japan, a lot of people are playing mobile games compared to playing console or PC games (and PC gaming in Japan has always been a VERY small niche).

So because the majority of people who bought turn based RPG's are not buying them anymore, a lot less are getting made. The market has mostly changed to America, Aus, and Europe, and RPG's, especially JRPG's, have always been in niche in our markets...minus the occasional blockbuster like FF7 or FF10.

There are still some coming out/released recently, but mostly the Japanese devs are not making them anymore or making action rpg's to hopefully sell to the American/Europe/Aus action fan-who let's face it, has the attention span of a gnat and couldn't sit down and play a turn based rpg to save their lives.
---
MSI GT60 15.6" : I7-3630QM, GTX680M/4GB GDDR5, 12GBDDRIII, 750GB/HD
Douleur Peur Mort