This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why have Turn-Based RPG's faded away?

#21LazyyAmericanPosted 7/9/2014 10:22:49 AM
I expected divinity to be the response immediately following the OP...I.am disappoint.
---
A true cinematic 24 fps experience
#22Bane766Posted 7/9/2014 10:26:04 AM
LazyyAmerican posted...
I expected divinity to be the response immediately following the OP...I.am disappoint.

A few games doesn't make this topic invalid. There ARE a ton less than in the past.
---
MSI GT60 15.6" : I7-3630QM, GTX680M/4GB GDDR5, 12GBDDRIII, 750GB/HD
Douleur Peur Mort
#23kobalobasileusPosted 7/9/2014 10:58:59 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Turn based RPGs were actually largely prominent due to technical and physical limitations of the target platforms, as well as problems of design and the available tools.
As these limitations faded away, so did the need for turn based games.

This is, and always has been, a BS argument. Turn-based videogames draw their influences from turn-based non-digital games, like D&D or Chess. There were no "technological limitations." Just look at the number of action RPGs that have been around for ages... like Crystalis, the Ys series (admittedly, I've only played Ys III, but it was all action), SoulBlazer, and others.

Turn-based mechanics are a conscious choice in allowing strategic, thoughtful gameplay instead of twitchy, knee-jerk, reactionary gameplay.

Turn-based has gone out of style simply because videogames are no longer sold primarily to nerds, and the mainstream members of the ADHD generation can't sit still and focus for any length of time longer than a quickscope headshot.
#24SuigintouEVPosted 7/9/2014 12:14:07 PM(edited)
Unbridled9 posted...
it's only been going downhill since then, especially in the JRPG department. This isn't about if you like/dislike the genre so much as asking 'why?' Why has it slipped?

Has it really slipped?

Citizens of Earth
Pokemon
Ni no Kuni
Persona 5
Pillars of Eternity
Fairy Fencer F
Bravely Default
Torment: Tides of Numenara
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Disgaea 4
Xenoblade X
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Wasteland 2
Eternal Sonata
Ar nosurge
Soul Saga
Etrian Odyssey IV
Persona Q
Persona 4 Golden
Piers Solar HD
Arc Rise Fantasia
Radiant Historia
Shin Megami Tensei IV

The only thing that's slipped is media coverage in this AAA Cinematic Gunsblazing Online Space Marines industry. As fans we've let the coverage die by supporting media that doesn't support a variety of video games. But the games are still around, even if they're not getting quarter-billion dollar budgets.

Reality is that "classic" games like Lunar didn't necessarily sell all that much in their day. They were a lot easier to profit from on those 90s era budgets, though. The only classic RPG series truly known for a huge budgrt was Final Fantasy, and that was by the standards then. Keep the budget constant today and you end up with half a gamr like FFXIII
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#25Lonestar2000Posted 7/9/2014 12:06:46 PM
Because turned-based games suck.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#26BogePosted 7/9/2014 12:38:26 PM(edited)
Turn based has faded because the younger generation doesn't have the patience for turns. It all has to happen right now, fast and furious!!!!111111onee1111zzdsaafsaSDASDadhdadhdaddaddaddadd
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#27SampsonMPosted 7/9/2014 12:41:55 PM
Stagnation -- the genre has changed little over the years

The decline of Japan -- Japanese game companies are struggling

And, most importantly:

Lack of multiplayer
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#28dekouPosted 7/9/2014 12:43:18 PM
Unbridled9 posted...
I've never heard of any of those games.

Original Sin is currently the best-selling game on Steam. And seriously, you're a fan of turn-based RPGs and haven't heard of Wasteland and Torment?
---
Intel Pentium II OC @ 450 MHz | 128 Mb RAM | Falcon Northwest Special Edition Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 SE | 2x 4 Gb Seagate HDD
#29eddy1nsanePosted 7/9/2014 12:44:55 PM
I'm confused with definition of your turn based RPG ? Does pokemon count?
---
God created the world, everything else are made in China
#30SuigintouEVPosted 7/9/2014 12:45:45 PM
SampsonM posted...
Stagnation -- the genre has changed little over the years

Please give an example of a genre which has changed plenty over the years.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II