This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What happens if I put a 9800 GT in a prebuilt PC with not enough juice?

#1Unsugarized_FooPosted 7/9/2014 11:22:51 AM
Does it auto underclock itand run at lower voltage, not run, or blow up my computer? I just need it to run Farm Simulator 2013.
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#2Riot55555Posted 7/9/2014 11:24:18 AM
Ever heard of a wormhole?
---
My competitive CS:S videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxqydBplX0&feature=channel_page&fmt=22
#3kill2thisPosted 7/9/2014 11:25:54 AM(edited)
Theoretically the PSU could blow AFAIK although I've never personally seen it , I've physically seen cases where the PC has shut itself off though.
#4SinisterSlayPosted 7/9/2014 11:25:34 AM
It will either
A: Blow the power supply
B: Blow the video card
C: Nothing at all, the system will boot and nVidia drivers will tell you the card is under powered or not powered at all.

If you want to be safe, use the card without plugging in the power supply. It'll still work
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5Unsugarized_Foo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 11:26:28 AM
Really? Alrighty.

Could I plug it into another computers PSU and power them at the same time? I can do that?
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#6SinisterSlayPosted 7/9/2014 11:27:35 AM
Unsugarized_Foo posted...
Really? Alrighty.

Could I plug it into another computers PSU and power them at the same time? I can do that?

Yes you could use a second power supply.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#7SinisterSlayPosted 7/9/2014 11:30:52 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
It will either
A: Blow the power supply
B: Blow the video card
C: Nothing at all, the system will boot and nVidia drivers will tell you the card is under powered or not powered at all.

If you want to be safe, use the card without plugging in the power supply. It'll still work

Correction,
I can't confirm if it works without the power.
I know when I did that with my old 6600 it worked. When I booted up the nvidia drivers told me my card was unplugged and would run considerably slower than it could if I plugged it in. I don't know if that feature exists for a 9800.
---
#8happyscrub1Posted 7/9/2014 11:34:26 AM
I forgot what exactly happen when I put a good video card in a pre-built that power supply wasn't good enough.

I just remembered that it didn't work, so I had to buy another power supply to get it to work (nothing broke. I just put in old video card back in until new supply came in mail).
---
Combo breaker!!!!!!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/110210424@N05/14385270766/
#9Unsugarized_Foo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 11:39:22 AM
Well, Im giving a pre-built thats laying around (i3 and 6 gigs of ram but 250w PSU) to my friend that still games on a P4 and 2400 PRO (its AGP, even). His PSU is 600w and can take it, but we dont want to gut anything, because the pre-built is really my brothers. Here's to hoping that having both PCs on with a Frankenstein wiring works.
---
#10Unsugarized_Foo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 11:39:44 AM
Oh, if the starting it up with out it plugged in doesnt work that is
---