This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why doesn't GOG port their DosBox games to Linux?

#1AlphaWhelpPosted 7/9/2014 3:53:11 PM
The Linux version of DosBox is something that exists. Why won't they make an installer for those games for Linux?
---
Q: How can you tell when I'm trolling? A: I've made a post.
My first Java Applet: http://www.alphawhelp.com/tongue/
#2KaiRyusakiPosted 7/9/2014 3:54:37 PM
Didnt they only recently started to support linux? Maybe they're still working on it.

Also, this goes for Steam as well. I believe most of their dosbox games are windows only.
#3Dr_keithPosted 7/9/2014 3:59:07 PM
Probably because Linux users are more likely to just pirate a game than buy it.
---
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.
#4Orestes417Posted 7/9/2014 3:59:56 PM
Dr_keith posted...

Now that's just slander.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#5AlphaWhelp(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 4:04:14 PM
Dr_keith posted...

oh is that why Linux users always pay the most money for Humble Bundles?
---
#6Dr_keithPosted 7/9/2014 4:09:42 PM
AlphaWhelp posted...
Dr_keith posted...

oh is that why Linux users always pay the most money for Humble Bundles?

Awfully defensive. Your HDD must be brimming with pirated software.

And the very few Linux users who support Humble Bundle can afford to pay a couple bucks more since they are too cheap to buy a real OS and steal anything else that isn't free.
---
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.
#7johnny_payPosted 7/9/2014 4:29:34 PM
its probably something to do with the fact that there are many different versions of linux.
#8ShubPosted 7/9/2014 5:00:39 PM(edited)
johnny_pay posted...
its probably something to do with the fact that there are many different versions of linux.

Meh, they could just do like Valve and basically say you can run Steam on whatever flavor of Linux you want, but we recommend Ubuntu (or another specific distro). And even though different versions of Linux may use different package managers, there wouldn't be much point for GOG to distribute old DOS/DOSBox games as distro/distro-family-specific packages (rpm, deb, etc.) since DOSBox games are so easy to install. Just a simple tarball and perhaps a bash script to make it more automated/user-friendly is all you'd need to support all but the more exotic Linux flavors without any extra work.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9Orestes417Posted 7/9/2014 5:05:38 PM
Yeah make a tarball and allow distributions to make scripts to package it if desired.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#10AlphaWhelp(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 5:17:40 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Yeah make a tarball and allow distributions to make scripts to package it if desired.

the way I would solve the problem is to have it download a binary that has a dependency on something else, and have it download the dependent packages from the repositories. the dependent thing can be a file specifically built to address that distro's compatibility issues and then all GOG would have to do is put a different compatibility-fixer in each of the distro-specific repositories. Then as long as nobody does something stupid like a Fedora user adding an Ubuntu repository to his system, everything should be golden (in theory).
---