This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why doesn't GOG port their DosBox games to Linux?

#11PraetorXynPosted 7/9/2014 8:13:49 PM
I'm just hoping GOG Galaxy will have Linux support.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#12SinisterSlayPosted 7/9/2014 8:35:38 PM
Ummmm it's the same as Windows.

Install dosbox.
Copy files to fake C drive.
Execute.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#13FenriswolfPosted 7/9/2014 9:15:24 PM
Dr_keith posted...
Probably because Linux users are more likely to just pirate a game than buy it.

They'd also plague the Steam forums with their port begging threads.
---
Hello
#14Dr_keithPosted 7/9/2014 9:20:05 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Ummmm it's the same as Windows.

Install dosbox.
Copy files to fake C drive.
Execute.

Yeah, but if they add official Linux support then instead of doing that you can just type 87 different strings into the command prompt while you sit in Starbucks and sigh when someone uses a Windows or Mac based platform.
---
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.
#15KillingMachinePosted 7/9/2014 11:19:23 PM
GOG has already announced that they plan to support Linux, they just haven't rolled it out yet. It'll probably come sometime after Galaxy is in place. Source: http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_soon_on_more_platforms
#16ShubPosted 7/10/2014 4:53:34 AM
Some people in this thread must have been molested by Linux when they were children.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#17Orestes417Posted 7/10/2014 7:29:22 AM
AlphaWhelp posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Yeah make a tarball and allow distributions to make scripts to package it if desired.

the way I would solve the problem is to have it download a binary that has a dependency on something else, and have it download the dependent packages from the repositories. the dependent thing can be a file specifically built to address that distro's compatibility issues and then all GOG would have to do is put a different compatibility-fixer in each of the distro-specific repositories. Then as long as nobody does something stupid like a Fedora user adding an Ubuntu repository to his system, everything should be golden (in theory).

Actually it'd just be easier to let the distros package and redistribute Galaxy as they see ift and have Galaxy handle the download/install of the games
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#18Zohar_MetatronPosted 7/10/2014 7:44:48 AM
I don't think the thirteen Linux users buy enough games to make up for the cost of going back and porting all those titles.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#19DieForMotherLandPosted 7/10/2014 7:47:02 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
I'm just hoping GOG Galaxy will have Linux support.

It will
---
Deu > Colm > Volke > Rivis > Patty > Parn > Rennac > Lara
#20Orestes417Posted 7/10/2014 7:47:47 AM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
I don't think the thirteen Linux users buy enough games to make up for the cost of going back and porting all those titles.

Good thing we aren't talking about porting then eh?
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.