This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else LOL at the cheesy "play by play" announcing of game streams?

#1TheBorderColliePosted 7/9/2014 8:14:47 PM
It's no wonder there is a big segment of the public that thinks that gamers are nerdy idiots....We've got nerdy idiots doing play-by-play calls of gaming tournaments like DOTA2. i just saw a couple of the streams of the competition and it was amazingly sad.

I don't know which is more embarrassing; the awful quality of the play-by-play itself...or the fact that these guys clearly think they are "cool" for doing what they are doing.
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
# of trolling Inbox messages deleted - without reading them - and users reported / banned: 11 :)
#2MyDogSkipPosted 7/9/2014 8:17:05 PM
I don't care about "eports", but how is it really any different from play by play announcements in athletic sports? Any knowledgeable fan can tell what's happening, so I'd imagine that it's mostly there for people who are just listening or aren't savvy enough. Those two reasons would be enough to justify it for game streams, imo.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#3arleasPosted 7/9/2014 8:30:42 PM
The notion of doing a play by play for anything but Radio is kinda silly. If you have eyes and know the rules then you can probably see what's going on just as well as the guy who's doing the announcing.

What else are they supposed to do though? Stand by and remain silent until the game is over and then say "that was a good game"?
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#4jenekiPosted 7/9/2014 8:37:25 PM
A play-by-play is kinda meh, but I always love a good, well educated commentary that explains what is going on and why things are happening.
---
Set down your Treasure, stretch your Tous, and leave your Cave. There's a big bright world of shmups out there.
#5ArayzielPosted 7/9/2014 8:48:00 PM
I never liked most commentary, even for regular sports.
#6joemama1992Posted 7/9/2014 8:48:29 PM
arleas posted...
The notion of doing a play by play for anything but Radio is kinda silly. If you have eyes and know the rules then you can probably see what's going on just as well as the guy who's doing the announcing.

What else are they supposed to do though? Stand by and remain silent until the game is over and then say "that was a good game"?

I dont play starcraft, but i think its cool to watch. That, without someone telling me what the units are for and how theyre used and what the guy is doing and what strategy it looks like hes using, i would have no idea what i was looking at.
---
http://gifsoup.com/view/1503220/grievous.html
3DS: 4871-3255-5004, lets trade pokemon!
#7Worknofun370Posted 7/9/2014 8:52:19 PM
TheBorderCollie posted...
It's no wonder there is a big segment of the public that thinks that gamers are nerdy idiots

People thought that well well before eSports commentators, and will continue to think that for awhile.

And... who cares? I mean, honestly, why do you care enough to even make this topic? "Lolz, people are doing something they enjoy doing, how amazingly sad." I'm not trying to say these guys aren't nerds but... who cares?
#8VoidNoodlePosted 7/10/2014 12:35:57 AM
This topic is embarrassing.
Do they think they're "cool"? Hell no, they're doing what they love, for the game that they love. Isn't that enough?
---
Steam: VoidNoodle PSN: VoidNoodle/SlashGeeGee
osu!: VoidNoodle
#9claytonbuckleyPosted 7/10/2014 1:19:03 AM
TC

So you're one of those guys. Do us a favor, take your affliction shirt and go back to the UFC fan boards please.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#10BIGGESTPS3FANPosted 7/10/2014 1:53:27 AM
Arayziel posted...
I never liked most commentary, even for regular sports.

Really? When I'm watching a basketball game on TV, the excitement that occurs on a huge shot or crazy play is so satisfying and hypes me up even more.
---
Intel i7 4930k | EVGA 780Ti SC x2 | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860i | 1TB Seagate HDD x2 | 120 GB Intel 520 SSD