This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Project Tango, a portable Mini Desktop PC the size of your Smart Phone

#1KamenRiderBladePosted 7/10/2014 10:25:25 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/tango-pocket-kickstarter-amd-apu,27213.html

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiny/tango-super-pc-a-desktop-windows-pc-in-cell-phone

So from what I can tell, it's a Super Small Form Factor PC that uses a docking station for IO input and cooling.

The nice part about this is that if you want to have the same desktop machine work in multiple environments, you just get multiple docking stations and drag the little machine around.

I wouldn't say this unit would be good for gaming, other than light gaming on older games and less demanding titles.

However, I can see this be great for a portable Office to Home Office and Media Center system

What do you folks think?

I like it's take on Desktop PC, it'll never replace a true desktop IMO, but it does a few things that a normal desktop doesn't do with the benefits of a Laptop docking station.

This would be great for certain business environments.

Any thoughts?
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#2TheLoneDigitPosted 7/10/2014 11:11:48 AM
I'm hoping to see more mini PCs soon. I want one as a portable media center and as a gaming rig for old games. My friends and I like to play retro games, but I hate dragging my old boxes of hardware and games all the time. I'd rather have it all fit in my pocket.
#3SilentHawk29Posted 7/10/2014 11:15:09 AM
Can't Microsoft or some other phone manufacturer make a phone or small tablet for this? Just give it HDMI output for everything and allow bluetooth keyboards/mice/etc.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#4SScorpioPosted 7/10/2014 11:54:07 AM
The diagram shows the thing you take with you has a battery, but the I/O connectivity and cooling is built into the dock. I don't think this will work without a dock, and I'm not sure why point battery has, I guess it could be used to keep RAM active so the machine will boot instantly when docked.

This is a great idea if it could catch on. Having the dock providing connectivity, power, and cooling, but leaving the CPU on the portable piece would allow public terminals.

If you really have a need for the same machine/desktop in multiple locations, you could have a desktop/laptop at each location and then just haul around a USB3/eSATA SSD with a virtual machine image. It's not a elegant of a solution, I've seen it used before. If you have set locations you'd be working, it blows away a laptop performance wise.
#5shmirlywhirlPosted 7/10/2014 11:56:17 AM
TheLoneDigit posted...
I'm hoping to see more mini PCs soon. I want one as a portable media center and as a gaming rig for old games. My friends and I like to play retro games, but I hate dragging my old boxes of hardware and games all the time. I'd rather have it all fit in my pocket.

Original hardware or bust.
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#6PhilOnDezPosted 7/10/2014 12:05:54 PM
My problem with indie hardware is that it's basically the opposite of 'futureproof', as much as I hate that term. By the time they're able to get production in full swing and distribution started the hardware is already outdated. These seem a bit more modular than most devices like this but it's really not that powerful to begin with, I guess it'll depend on the price. I'd much sooner buy a Brix Pro (iris pro, 4670/4770 equivalent BGA CPU) than spend $500 on this. It'll be a bit bigger but so much faster and more powerful.

I like this idea, I just don't think they're going to be able to do anything with it, especially not with the $100,000 they've raised (unless they're already 99% done and just needed a final push).
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7KamenRiderBlade(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2014 4:56:57 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
depend on the price. I'd much soon

I agree, this type of AIO hardware will never be future proof.

However there are certain class of PC users that only need so much power to do document work or light 3D graphical work.

This fits those people.

And those who care about a portable Media Center PC, this would actually be a good solution.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#8wildog2006Posted 7/10/2014 5:57:56 PM
What's the point of the battery If the heatsink/fan and I/O is part of the docking station? Does it not require docking? Then why have the dock in the first place?

Also, I wouldn't really call an A6 APU a gaming pc.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#9PhilOnDezPosted 7/10/2014 6:05:02 PM
Well, the battery would be nice for an office computer. I always do work on my laptop if given a choice for the <1% chance of the power going out between saves. But I agree in that I don't see much of a point in it. Nice, but it'd be the first thing I stripped out to cut costs/pack more hardware in.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10MyDogSkipPosted 7/10/2014 6:07:32 PM
They need to change the name:

https://www.google.com/atap/projecttango/#project
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93