This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you still play Quake 2 online?

#1ChromaticAngelPosted 7/10/2014 4:16:41 PM
And if you can, how active is the community?
---
I am your savior. I am corruption. I am the angel, of your destruction.
I am perversion. Secret desire. I am your future, swallowed up in fire.
#2Orestes417Posted 7/10/2014 4:17:43 PM
There's no rational reason why you couldn't though admittedly I have no clue how many might still be playing.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#3ChromaticAngel(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2014 4:26:51 PM
Orestes417 posted...
There's no rational reason why you couldn't though admittedly I have no clue how many might still be playing.

because the old Quake 2 worked through GameSpy which is shut down now.
---
#4KaiRyusakiPosted 7/10/2014 4:29:08 PM
I dont know, but cant you play Quake Live instead?
#5ChromaticAngel(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2014 4:29:40 PM
KaiRyusaki posted...

there is a specific mod for Quake 2 that I want to play.
---
#6KaiRyusakiPosted 7/10/2014 4:36:19 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...

there is a specific mod for Quake 2 that I want to play.

Kawaii mods i hope!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2320/discussions/0/540744936907943087/
The fact this thread exists makes me think it works. maybe no master server, but still console commands
#7ShubPosted 7/10/2014 5:55:44 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Technically Quake 2 never needed Gamespy, back then Gamespy was just the server browser software it had been since its inception, not the service it later became. You would use Gamespy to find servers, set up Quake 2 to work with GameSpy, double-click on a server and GameSpy would run the game with a particular command line argument that would automatically connect to the server you double-clicked on. In practice you could just write down the IP address of the server you wished to connect to, start Quake 2, access the console and connect to that IP address directly.

Quake 2 itself does not rely on any service for online play, it's a dumb client/server architecture that requires no middle man, so your challenge is just in finding servers to connect to and hope people are playing. And that doesn't look like much of a challenge if Google is any indication: http://q2servers.com/
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8Hi CPosted 7/10/2014 6:02:11 PM
Back in the day, when the PC gaming industry was far more advanced and less crippled than it is now, you could actually connect to a multiplayer game by typing in the hosts IP address without having to rely on publisher operated match making.
#9ChromaticAngel(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2014 6:43:08 PM
Shub posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Technically Quake 2 never needed Gamespy, back then Gamespy was just the server browser software it had been since its inception, not the service it later became. You would use Gamespy to find servers, set up Quake 2 to work with GameSpy, double-click on a server and GameSpy would run the game with a particular command line argument that would automatically connect to the server you double-clicked on. In practice you could just write down the IP address of the server you wished to connect to, start Quake 2, access the console and connect to that IP address directly.

Quake 2 itself does not rely on any service for online play, it's a dumb client/server architecture that requires no middle man, so your challenge is just in finding servers to connect to and hope people are playing. And that doesn't look like much of a challenge if Google is any indication: http://q2servers.com/

wow this is a great post, thanks.
---