This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will a PC still outperform a console after 7 years?

#31Dark_SpiretPosted 7/10/2014 7:50:56 PM
its going to depend on the games. some are going to get made with higher settings and new hardware in mind so the minimum is going to shift. a pc built right now that can max everything probably wont be maxing stuff 5 years. however thats assuming you try to "max" the settings. if you just wanted to keep up with what the equivalent to console games run then that will be far more manageable since by that time the console will probably be running the pc equivalent of low, maybe medium settings.
---
Currently playing: Divinity Original Sin - Sniper Elite III - Shovel Knight
#32steveboblarryPosted 7/10/2014 8:09:44 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
If DX12 gets widespread adoption, PC would be in the best situation ever

But it's not all apples-to-apples comparisons between console and PC versions. For example, BF3/BF4 on the 360/PS3 only has 24 players, and settings lower than PC's lowest.

The Witcher 3 will be an interesting case for platform comparisons.

I wouldn't expect that many direct x 12 games untill late 2016 early 2017
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#33Incendia_IntusPosted 7/10/2014 8:20:46 PM
Probably. My PC from three, probably closer to four years old, is already outperforming the PS4 and Xbone.
---
All childish acts of aggression, shall be handled with laughter.
#34godplaysSNESPosted 7/11/2014 3:53:36 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...
That's how long consoles generally last now, but will a current PC worth say $800 be able to perform better than, or as good as a PS4 after 7 years without upgrading? Keep in mind that developers optimize games for consoles which really helps mitigate loss in quality in 7 yearold hardware.

And console optimization has been dead since the PS1, since then it's been tricks like lower resolution, higher AA, less draw distance, etc. They don't get more power out of the consoles, they just find ways to hide the weakness.

Console optimization is real. And Mantle has given PC gamers a taste of just how big it can be.
Battlefield 4 in DX11.1 would be running very badly if you tried to run it on a PC with six 1.6 Jaguar cores.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#35Xtreme-VoidPosted 7/11/2014 4:40:46 AM
TC need so much re-assurance of his console.
---
PC Gaming Rigs, PS3, PS VITA, PSP, 3DS
i7 4790 | MSI GTX 780 Ti TF OC | 12 GB RAM | 3 TB HDD | Sony Bravia 40HX750 | Altec Lansing MX6021
#36MaxCHEATER64Posted 7/11/2014 4:45:31 AM
TehPwnzerer posted...
Stronger hardware doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get better results

troll confirmed
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#37SinisterSlayPosted 7/11/2014 4:47:34 AM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...
That's how long consoles generally last now, but will a current PC worth say $800 be able to perform better than, or as good as a PS4 after 7 years without upgrading? Keep in mind that developers optimize games for consoles which really helps mitigate loss in quality in 7 yearold hardware.

And console optimization has been dead since the PS1, since then it's been tricks like lower resolution, higher AA, less draw distance, etc. They don't get more power out of the consoles, they just find ways to hide the weakness.

Console optimization is real. And Mantle has given PC gamers a taste of just how big it can be.
Battlefield 4 in DX11.1 would be running very badly if you tried to run it on a PC with six 1.6 Jaguar cores.

That doesn't let it render more triangles or higher resolutions.
Considering even a cheap computer is hitting 3 ghz, I don't think anyone has to worry.
The console doesn't get more powerful, pcs are already more powerful and will remain so forever.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#38DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/11/2014 4:48:05 AM
Only when video memory capacity becomes a problem, or consoles start getting lower-than-lowest settings ports, like with Crysis 3.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#39godplaysSNESPosted 7/11/2014 5:58:30 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...

Considering even a cheap computer is hitting 3 ghz, I don't think anyone has to worry.
The console doesn't get more powerful, pcs are already more powerful and will remain so forever.

Well, everyone knows that gigahertz alone doesn't matter. And even if you run BF4 on a heavily overclocked Phenom II X4/X6 or Core 2 Quad, there will be spots where the framerate suffers.

The PS4's GPU won't magically get more horsepower. But DX11.2 doesn't expose everything that GCN is capable of either.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
Only when video memory capacity becomes a problem, or consoles start getting lower-than-lowest settings ports, like with Crysis 3.

I think Crysis 3 is a kind of black sheep. That game should have had a fallback path for DX10/10.1 GPUs, but instead those cards were locked out to make the game seem more "next-gen".
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#40SinisterSlayPosted 7/11/2014 6:06:27 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...

Well, everyone knows that gigahertz alone doesn't matter. And even if you run BF4 on a heavily overclocked Phenom II X4/X6 or Core 2 Quad, there will be spots where the framerate suffers.

The PS4's GPU won't magically get more horsepower. But DX11.2 doesn't expose everything that GCN is capable of either.

GHZ isn't everything but the consoles are starting off very low.
Any optimizations they do come up with will bring them within range of a cheap i3 from 2 years ago.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence