This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My GTX 670 is acting really weird...

#1Lord_VaderPosted 7/11/2014 9:01:21 AM
Normally when I play newer games on the highest settings the fan is loud but bearable. But last night I started up Arkham City and after a minute or so of playing, the fan started making a REALLY loud noise. I actually had to step away from the computer because I thought something was gonna explode. And then the video feed for the monitor just got cut off. I ended up force-shutting down my computer. The thing is, I just cleaned the computer two days ago, including the video card and its fan. Is there another fan that it has or something because I only saw the one small one that it had. My specs:

Windows 8.1
Intel i7-3770
8 GB RAM DDR3
---
Live long and prosper.
#2OreoBoy206Posted 7/11/2014 9:07:52 AM
What did you clean the fans with? If it was compressed air did you put something in between the fans to keep them from spinning as you blew air through them? The compressed air can overspin the fans and mess up the fans bearings, causing them to malfunction or produce louder noise..
#32Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 7/11/2014 9:08:42 AM
What brand of 670? I assume with one fan it's a reference model but just to be sure
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#4Lord_Vader(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2014 11:15:39 PM
OreoBoy206 posted...
What did you clean the fans with? If it was compressed air did you put something in between the fans to keep them from spinning as you blew air through them? The compressed air can overspin the fans and mess up the fans bearings, causing them to malfunction or produce louder noise..

Compressed air. But I doubt that's the problem because it's not only the fan that starts to spin loudly. When I did a stress test, the fan started to spin loudly just as the monitor went black. And the temperature for the video card was over 90 degrees Celsius. I have an EVGA GTX 670.
---
Live long and prosper.
#5BogePosted 7/11/2014 11:20:39 PM
Better get an RMA ready.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#6LvthnPosted 7/11/2014 11:45:16 PM
Your card is overheating. I'm not there to see for myself, but why do you doubt the fan? If the fan is damaged, loud noises and overheating are what you expect to see.

Lucky for you, you made the wise choice of buying EVGA. RMA ahoy.
#7returnofbeansPosted 7/11/2014 11:58:59 PM
whats RMA? i have a GTX 580 and if it's some sort of warranty, i assume i need the receipt it was bought with? because i dont have it any more lol.
---
Intel i5-4750 3.2Ghz / MSI Z87-G41 / 2X 4GB DDR3 / 2 TB HDD / Geforce GTX 580 / 500W 80+ bronze
#8wildog2006Posted 7/12/2014 6:19:12 AM
Did you register it on the manufacturers website?
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#9PhilOnDezPosted 7/12/2014 6:40:38 AM
OreoBoy206 posted...

Another problem that can be caused by not securing fans is that electrical motors and electrical generators are basically the same thing. If the fan is spinning freely it can pour quite a bit of power into the card in a way it wasn't designed to handle.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10Lord_Vader(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2014 11:06:42 AM
It's been almost two years since I bought the gtx 670 so I don't know if I can even return it. I just have the original box. I don't know where the receipt is.

I noticed that the frame rate for my games becomes lower before the problem happens. But it's just peculiar that the problem started happening right after I cleaned my computer.
---
Live long and prosper.