This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Gamer calls Divinity: OS "best new RPG in years"

#11AsucaHayashiPosted 7/11/2014 11:08:25 AM
Freedom, simulation, depth, and respect for the player's choices.

lol wth

tell me how the game should be played AAA-style or gtfo.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#12tiger8191Posted 7/11/2014 11:33:58 AM
I love how people can't handle too much positivity. Omg. Let's throw some negativity around to even it out. I want less happiness and more grrrrrrr. Smh
---
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
#13Jonny2284Posted 7/11/2014 11:47:24 AM
Excuse me if I don't believe a word that the publication that gave Dragon age 2 94% says when it comes to RPGs.
#14Garage_ManPosted 7/11/2014 11:49:18 AM
It looks like a very gameplay heavy RPG so not really my thing. I prefer story over everything else and actually at the expense of a complex system.

I'll look into it when it's 75-80% off on a sale.
#15Sk0rbutPosted 7/11/2014 11:50:25 AM
tiger8191 posted...
I love how people can't handle too much positivity. Omg. Let's throw some negativity around to even it out. I want less happiness and more grrrrrrr. Smh

Yup, this whole predictable hype anti-hype chain reaction we get every time enough people really like a game is kind of insane.

Imho the PC Gamer review is pretty spot on - I mean the whole thing, not just the "best new RPG in years" snippet.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#16BogePosted 7/11/2014 12:08:28 PM
I've been enjoying it, but the past day or two, I've bumped into some things that are bothering me.

Lack of companions. Two at the start of the game, nothing else. I hear they're not even in the game now. How can someone call a game a "release" and get reviews and all when it's not finished? Am I missing something?

I love turn based tactical combat, but this system is lacking. They tried to make the environment play a part, but they did a horrible job. Barriers do little to nothing, so positioning your characters isn't that important. You have water, fire, barrels, poison...boring. Go play a game like Vandal Hearts for PS in order to get a better sense of the environment playing a role in combat.

I hate waypoints in games. They just distract you and make it a waypoint hopping game. This game doesn't have waypoints, which is good, but it certainly would be really good to know where to go to turn a quest in at least, and do a better job letting you know that a quest chain is completed so you can erase it from your memory.

Better crafting tutorial. The books are good at giving you some insight in what to craft and how, but we need more. There are too many crafting things in this game to not know what you can and can't do pretty much from the beginning of the game. I feel like by the time I actually can start crafting stuff, the game will be over already.

The leveling process feels too slow. Not that I want to level fast, but my skills and talents are too limited. I'm afraid to spend anything into skills because I know it will be another 5 hours before I level up again. I don't want to waste skill points just trying things out. I hear there is a respec sometime in the game, but 25 hours in, I haven't found it. That should be earlier as well. Players should feel free to explore options without worrying of gimping themselves.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#17SneakiestNegPosted 7/11/2014 12:13:17 PM
Now make it sell people. Belgian tax breaks are beginning to run out. I'll take ten!
#18chandl34Posted 7/11/2014 12:13:36 PM
The combat is great, but the story isn't (of what I've seen so far). So it probably won't edge out Baldur's Gate, Gothic, Fallout, or Jagged Alliance. It's worth buying if you like turn-based games.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#19GTL581Posted 7/11/2014 12:20:27 PM(edited)
they call it the best rpg in years, yet still give it an 87. looking over the scores they gave certain rpgs over the past few years (90's/100 and up) makes me scratch my head. i get that it's most likely different people doing the reviews, but come on. aaa game's scores being inflated simply because of hype and big name sequels, this is why i stopped paying attention to reviews on gaming sites
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#20turtlebeach21Posted 7/11/2014 1:57:06 PM
Boge posted...

I hate waypoints in games. They just distract you and make it a waypoint hopping game. This game doesn't have waypoints, which is good, but it certainly would be really good to know where to go to turn a quest in at least, and do a better job letting you know that a quest chain is completed so you can erase it from your memory.

wat? go in your journal and uncheck filter completed then you will see all the quests you've completed..