This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what is so fun about M&B Warband?

#41chandl34Posted 7/11/2014 7:31:29 PM
Discern posted...
I was having a hard time attacking in the tutorial. Tried to do what it said by swiping the mouse and pressing the left mouse and either I'd be successful or my camera would just go nuts in the direction I was trying to move the mouse and not do anything else. I'm guessing it's just because I'm not good at it, but after a good half hour of not being able to attack, I felt annoyed and stopped lol.

Seems like it'd be a good game if I could figure out how to attack without my camera going every which way.

Might want to mess around with the settings. I haven't played in a few months, but there should be something about directional attacks.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#42NingishzidaPosted 7/11/2014 7:42:20 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#43NingishzidaPosted 7/11/2014 7:47:41 PM
IMO 2handers are too slow for mounted combat. You can get a similar reach with a double-prefixed bastard sword, and much faster attack rate, and still have a shield. A shield is necessary in some situations if you play on full dmg difficulty.

Unless you're highly skilled and have built your character to be mobile on foot and for flanking (low encumbrance, high athletics), then 2handers is too risky if you play on full dmg diff

Archery can be extremely powerful if you can find large quivers with +dmg. When choosing a bow you have to weigh up rate of fire versus dmg for the situation you're in, and how much power draw you have. Sometimes, a slower more dmging bow is preferable, sometimes RoF wins. Also, headshots always win. an unkilled lvl1 noob wielding a starter bow can inflict 87hps dmg on an enemy with a headshot

Xbows are weaker, they only do flat dmg (bows have scaling power draw) and have slow RoF. But pump your utility companions to the STR required to wield masterwork siege xbows, and they'll get some kills for you instead of just being useless hiding away from reach of the action.

That said, xbows are great for troops in sieges where dmg is more important than RoF. And top-tier Rhodok xbowmen are the best ranged siege attackers in the game, not only are they accurate but their shields on the back protect them from any answering enemy hail, as they bend over forward to reload.
#44CommonJoePosted 7/11/2014 7:55:34 PM
If you seriously don't enjoy a game where you can literally do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhdojmRR9r0

In FIRST PERSON, no less, then I can't help but feel sorry for you.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#45KharilllePosted 7/11/2014 8:03:15 PM
I usually rely on my horse to keep me away from enemy missiles. I suppose in bandit camps and sieges a shield will come in useful. But running out of arrows is a real problem for me.

Hm... now there is a thought, how about a fantasy variation of mount & blade where you hunt dragons, gryphons and unicorn? And maybe using a musket on orcs too.... heh....
#46pwnater777Posted 7/11/2014 8:06:47 PM
You know how everyone is always making simulator jokes? Well, to put it simply, this game is THE Medieval simulator. The combat matches what you'd expect from the time period (even Napoleonic Wars combat matches its time period!), you can slowly move up in importance in specific kingdoms and become allies with different vassals, you can take part in huge, vicious kingdom wars and actually take over land of other kingdoms, and it's all an insanely customizable and open-ended experience!

I highly recommend it.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#47NingishzidaPosted 7/11/2014 8:18:02 PM(edited)
Kharillle posted...
I usually rely on my horse to keep me away from enemy missiles. I suppose in bandit camps and sieges a shield will come in useful.

Shields are useful everywhere if you play on full dmg, IMO. You can ride around and kite low level guys like forest bandits pretty easily, but then you come up against a cavalry of mounted Khergit archers and get pin cushioned to death. Again, with high skill of dodging arrows as you chase them down or low difficulty and luck it isn't as much of a problem but otherwise "no shield" presents a consistent problem, as body shots hurt like hell and headshots are almost always fatal on full dmg diff.

But running out of arrows is a real problem for me.

You can find large quivers of +dmg arrows and bolts, but yeah, it's still not enough, but that's for game balance and realism. You can pick up missiles from the ground and also run/ride back to your storage chest for more.

Also, I personally prefer a more dmg bow in most situations because I like my shots to count. If an enemy is left with even 1hp after a shot then he's just as dangerous to you as if he was still full hps. It's better to kill him outright. This saves arrows, too. most of the time, sniping is better than spraying, at least from my xp.
#48WygunPosted 7/11/2014 8:29:20 PM
Kharillle posted...
how about a fantasy variation of mount & blade where you hunt dragons, gryphons and unicorn? And maybe using a musket on orcs too.... heh....

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,145937.0.html
Not sure if thats what youre asking but, that mod has muskets and orks.

If you want dragons try the mod called Perisno.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,341.0.html
#49monkmithPosted 7/11/2014 8:35:17 PM
holy crap there are a lot of trolls in this topic. nice troll bait tc.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#50KharilllePosted 7/11/2014 8:41:15 PM
Wish there was a flag near my baggage. Can't see that chest to run for it.