This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the best Anti-virus program?

#11MaximoomPosted 7/11/2014 3:38:05 PM
I use Avast free.

Kaspersky is excellent.
---
Asus P8H61-MLE/BR | i5 3470 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3TEC 500Rve 500W Bronze | Samsung 32" LCD 1080p.
#12Haley Joel OsmentPosted 7/11/2014 3:43:13 PM
Common Sense 2014.

---
I see dead people.
#13WerdnAndreWPosted 7/11/2014 3:45:13 PM
Nod32
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#14mikewu1Posted 7/11/2014 3:56:20 PM
360 internet security
#15Mr HangmanPosted 7/11/2014 4:04:32 PM
Anti-virus is a bad security strategy. It can only catch stuff after it already gets into your system, only identify past known viruses, and you might never be sure it ever really removed them. Plus they slow everything down by scanning ever little thing over and over, and there's the endless updates. Smart malware authors today can run their malware through obfuscators that change their appearance while maintaining the functionality, then test it against all virus scanners on VirusTotal and see that it passes them all.

Use preventative techniques. Make a standard user account on Windows and never run as the administrator account unless you must. Get Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) and set it to maximum security. Always update Windows and Flash right away on the second Tuesday of the month. Keep your browser(s) and all plugins up to date, and Java too. Disable JavaScript when you don't need it. Don't ever run executables from untrusted sources. Try sandboxing progams like Sandboxie or virtual machines if you want to be even safer.
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#16HaganPosted 7/11/2014 4:08:10 PM
Mr Hangman posted...
Anti-virus is a bad security strategy. It can only catch stuff after it already gets into your system, only identify past known viruses, and you might never be sure it ever really removed them. Plus they slow everything down by scanning ever little thing over and over, and there's the endless updates. Smart malware authors today can run their malware through obfuscators that change their appearance while maintaining the functionality, then test it against all virus scanners on VirusTotal and see that it passes them all.

Use preventative techniques. Make a standard user account on Windows and never run as the administrator account unless you must. Get Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) and set it to maximum security. Always update Windows and Flash right away on the second Tuesday of the month. Keep your browser(s) and all plugins up to date, and Java too. Disable JavaScript when you don't need it. Don't ever run executables from untrusted sources. Try sandboxing progams like Sandboxie or virtual machines if you want to be even safer.

sounds like a pain in the ass
---
XBL GT= illidan z PSN = HaganJR
Steam = mhagan1986 Origin = HaganJR
#17Mr HangmanPosted 7/11/2014 4:15:06 PM(edited)
Most of the things I mentioned you just need to set up once and it's done. Anti-virus needs to update and scan again and again forever. It's a band-aid on a broken machine, it's pouring buckets our of a sinking ship.
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#18SneakiestNegPosted 7/11/2014 4:24:19 PM
Any anti virus and firewall IS preventive. They constantly scan in the background. Automatically scan every file you download. Scan any new device you connect. Automatically update all software. Add malwarebytes to the mix and you are safe to go were even law enforcement fears to tread
#19harvestmoonianPosted 7/11/2014 4:34:34 PM
I use avg, its free and I've never had a problem with it.
#20MarikhenPosted 7/11/2014 4:42:18 PM
Mr Hangman posted...
Always update Windows and Flash right away on the second Tuesday of the month. Keep your browser(s) and all plugins up to date, and Java too.

Keep software up to date, yes, but don't update it as soon as updates are available. Oh dear gods on high and low do not update software as soon as an update is available. Both Microsoft and Adobe have released updates that open up more security flaws and/or otherwise cause more headaches than they fix. In point of fact Microsoft left an update available for months after it was determined that the update would almost certainly mess up your system.

Instances of such things aren't common, but it's my opinion that it's better to take your chances with the same old s*** out there rather than risking running afoul of a "day one exploit" or having to roll back updates, if not outright reinstall your OS under a worst case scenario of Microsoft updates, because the QA department was on acid that week.

Give updates 24-48 hours and spend some time researching them before applying them. :-/
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?