This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here ever try making a game?

#11shmirlywhirlPosted 7/11/2014 6:08:09 PM
Bane766 posted...
My friends and I use to make simple games on our Commodore 64 back in the day. I wouldn't know how nowadays, tho.

Pretty much the same. Just with a couple more "goto 10" lines.
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#12Skul_Posted 7/11/2014 6:10:15 PM
Yeah, with both RPG Maker and Unity.
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#13capgamerPosted 7/11/2014 6:10:50 PM
I haven't really made a game. I want to get into it, but I have a full time job and it's hard to convince myself to come home from sitting in front of a computer working for 8-9 hours and then sit in front of a computer doing more work.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#14Garage_ManPosted 7/11/2014 6:25:00 PM
It's what I do for a living so you bet! From designing levels, writing stories, using FL Audio to make music, Maya for 3d, Texturing in Photoshop ans then using unity to bring it all together.

I really like it though. In the end when you can say..yes I made that. It was me!

It certainly isn't for everyone, a lot of people get scared of the code. Little do they know that's the easiest part! Lol
#15R i c kPosted 7/11/2014 7:08:55 PM
I made a few complete games, a few developer tools including a paint program/sprite editor and tons of little routines for various things...

This was like a million years ago...

In QBASIC.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded and others. Tune in!
#16MagnemightPosted 7/11/2014 7:54:43 PM
uped145 posted...
You should try out this program. It has a free trial

https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

My professor had the whole class use it for an Introductory Computer Science class that I took. It's pretty simple, all you do is is add in your own sprites and you can assign them different properties like being able to move them with the arrow keys or making other sprites disappear on contact. Managed to make a Pac-man type game in a couple of minutes.

Hrm. Game Maker Studio has a wide range of depths one can use-it's rather odd that a college class would skip over the programming language in favor of the limited, highly-specialized tools.

I'm making a fan-game in Game Maker 8, myself. It's a Tower Defense game wherein one takes on the role of the villains of the Super Mario Bros series, placing mobile enemies rather than towers and working within the established rules of the Mario platformers to stop the opposing force of Shy Guys from reaching the coin block on the right side of the screen.

It's rather fascinating to make, as traditional Mario mechanics weren't built with tower-defenses in mind, and trying to transition those mechanics into a tower defense while still making the game engaging is a fascinating ordeal.

I have a link to the game in signature. It has a sizable demo out (I'd say it's around three hours long if you rush). Always looking for feedback. Etcetera.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Check out the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243
#17chandl34Posted 7/11/2014 7:58:25 PM(edited)
I was working on a Jagged Alliance 2-type game for iOS for a few years. C++, OpenGL. Never finished it though; too much of a time and money investment. Not really the right crowd for that type of game either.
---
... even on Earth Mode.