This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any pc games where the NPCs com chatter actually comes through headest?

#1TheNeckbeardPosted 7/11/2014 6:27:42 PM
In a lot of games namely shooter based games they often talk to you over headset in the game.. I just thought it would be nice if the com chatter was actually seperate from normal speaker chatter and if you were wearing a headset normal game noise would come from speakers but com chatter would come through you headset.

Anything do that already out there?
---
http://peacefulstreets.com/corrupt-cop-of-the-month/
#2HomstarRunnerPosted 7/12/2014 12:25:00 PM
Interesting idea, I'm surprised I've never played a game with that feature
---
Yoshi's Story turned me into the jaded cynic I am today ~BringerOfPie
#3capgamerPosted 7/12/2014 12:31:27 PM
The closest thing I can think of is how some games on the Wii used the little speaker on the Wiimote to have a character talk to you over radio or like in Zelda to play the puzzle solving sound. Stuff like that.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#4reincarnator07Posted 7/12/2014 3:02:35 PM
Sadly, Windows is terrible with multiple audio I/Os. Also, such a feature would be unusable for anyone using closed headphones. I personally can barely hear anything when I have my headphones on.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#5Damaged7Posted 7/12/2014 3:37:56 PM
I believe one of the Tom Clancy games on Xbox did this. I forget the name, but it was like an RTS and you could voice command your units.
---
Bold Text
#6PhilOnDezPosted 7/12/2014 3:56:56 PM
Manhunt did it on Xbox, not sure if the PC version does. You could also use the mic to alert enemies and draw them to your location.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7Zohar_MetatronPosted 7/12/2014 3:57:02 PM
One of the Splinter Cells let you listen in on the other team's voice chat by grabbing one of their guys, putting your hand over their mouth (which muted their chat, I think?), and listening in on their headset in-game, IIRC. Not NPC chat, but still real cool.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#8arleasPosted 7/12/2014 4:19:59 PM
Windows can (and does) separate voice chat over two different channels. As long as you have a device designated as "default communications device" that's where voice chat comes through provided the developers put that in...

The first game I noticed that did this was Borderlands. Wearing headphones I could hear voice chat clearly while the game sounds were a teeny bit muffled. Of course it did nothing to prevent the game sounds from going through the mic and there was no off switch on the mic so I would wind up listening to everyone else breathing, coughing etc. :(

It shouldn't be too hard to treat NPC communications the same as voice chat. I don't think I've ever heard of a game on PC doing that though...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#9pwnater777Posted 7/12/2014 4:25:34 PM
capgamer posted...
The closest thing I can think of is how some games on the Wii used the little speaker on the Wiimote to have a character talk to you over radio or like in Zelda to play the puzzle solving sound. Stuff like that.

That same mechanic is used with the Playstation 4's dualshock 4. For instance, in Tomb Raider, radio talk comes through the controller, Killzone's audio logs play through it, and I'm sure there are plenty even better examples. Those are just my most memorable examples.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#10SpazH3dPosted 7/12/2014 4:28:53 PM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
One of the Splinter Cells let you listen in on the other team's voice chat by grabbing one of their guys, putting your hand over their mouth (which muted their chat, I think?), and listening in on their headset in-game, IIRC. Not NPC chat, but still real cool.

Hot dang that is cool. Can you name that game for me? Is it Chaos Theory?
---
- My vision is augmented