This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rate this PC community Cliche: Common Sense is the only Antivirus you need!

#1Knighted DragonPosted 7/11/2014 6:49:23 PM
Topic - Results (110 votes)
1
31.82% (35 votes)
35
2
5.45% (6 votes)
6
3
6.36% (7 votes)
7
4
5.45% (6 votes)
6
5
10% (11 votes)
11
6
3.64% (4 votes)
4
7
7.27% (8 votes)
8
8
7.27% (8 votes)
8
9
0% (0 votes)
0
10
22.73% (25 votes)
25
This poll is now closed.
It's shocking that this is even still a thing despite common sense debunking the theory that common sense is the only anti-virus you need in a world where you get virus from things completely out of your control
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#2StormKMDPosted 7/11/2014 6:51:07 PM
Why is this a topic?
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K Phantek PH-TC14PE_BK | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | 1500GBs HDD | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD
#3pwnater777Posted 7/11/2014 6:52:44 PM
You still need antivirus, but it should pretty much be a backup thing. Sort of like insurance. You shouldn't always need it, but it's there when you do.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#4Knighted Dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2014 7:38:58 PM
StormKMD posted...
Why is this a topic?


Because it's still a thing. It's actually a pretty common thing too. It shouldn't be a thing. Common sense helps, but that's it. You can avoid a lot of problems by having common sense, but thinking you can avoid all of life's problems with just common sense alone is extremely stupid, and virtual problems are no different
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#5jernasPosted 7/11/2014 7:46:54 PM
Disable Java and ActiveX + use Adblock/Ghostery + don't use IE + be smart about what you install = no viruses
---
uh
#6urtvPosted 7/11/2014 7:51:09 PM
listen to the government and use protection
#7DiviDudePosted 7/11/2014 7:52:08 PM
Computers are fast enough that having an antivirus in the background somewhere is essentially costless in terms of resources. No sensible person says no to a free insurance policy.
#8PS4isallihavePosted 7/11/2014 7:55:20 PM
Windows Defender and Malware Bytes is all you need
#9jernasPosted 7/11/2014 8:29:30 PM
DiviDude posted...
Computers are fast enough that having an antivirus in the background somewhere is essentially costless in terms of resources. No sensible person says no to a free insurance policy.


It's not costless when the stupid AV's restrict the functionality of completely legitimate programs because it mistakenly assesses them as a danger.

Really, Java vulnerabilities account for probably 99% of internet-born viruses and malware that can harm your computer. That's rectified by simply disabling Java-related plugins in every browser that you use (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, whatever). The other 1% can be taken care of by using Adblock and Ghostery (or restricting Javascript exclusively to trusted sites). And unless you're the kind of moron who installs crap like download managers and animated dancing desktop girl programs you won't have to worry about installing any trojans or viruses either.
---
uh
#10cody4783Posted 7/11/2014 8:32:30 PM(edited)
Sure, completely disconnect your computer from internet, never install any programs, don't trust other people's flash drives, and live in solitude...and you'll never need an Antivirus.

Anything else...Well, if you're going out of your way to live a "Virus free internet lifestyle", you're seriously going through more trouble and inconveniencing yourself far more than just installing a damn A/V program ever would.

It's like saying you keep your money in your mattress because you don't trust banks. The day your house burns down or gets broken into the rest of us will laugh. And you, you'll be left regretting having dedicated your time to not allowing open flames in your house and making sure your burglar bars were always locked.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/zgyKBAY.jpg