This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DRM question

#1Darkstorm16Posted 7/11/2014 10:04:20 PM
What does it mean to be DRM free? I hear steam doesn't support DRM free so what does it mean? Sorry if this question seems stupid.
---
Nintendo Network/PSN: Desertking24/Steam:Desertking23
Currently playing: Ultima 2 (PC)/Yugioh wc 2011 (DS)
#2cody4783Posted 7/11/2014 10:13:28 PM
DRM= Digital Rights Management.

Ie, this is any form of means implemented to keep you from freely copying or redistributing content, be it games, movies, music, etc..

When it comes to games, this is anything from old fashion CD Keys, publisher clients, account sign-ins, third-party software to encrypt data from being copied illegally, and so forth.

DRM Free typically refers to something that has none of this and can be freely installed as much as you like, copied, transferred, played or whatever without any authentification, clients, or anything. Just run the game and you're set.

Steam itself *is* a form of DRM, in that it requires you to sign into it's client to download and play it's games. While it's one of the more widely accepted and less-intrusive/cumbersome forms of DRM, it is still a means to keep games purchased by an individual, tied to that individual's personal account credentials---So they, more or less, they are the only one who has access to the copy of the game they purchased.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/zgyKBAY.jpg
#3TimePharaohPosted 7/12/2014 1:45:39 AM
cody4783 posted...
Steam itself *is* a form of DRM, in that it requires you to sign into it's client to download and play it's games. While it's one of the more widely accepted and less-intrusive/cumbersome forms of DRM, it is still a means to keep games purchased by an individual, tied to that individual's personal account credentials---So they, more or less, they are the only one who has access to the copy of the game they purchased.

No it's not.
#4Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2014 7:06:06 AM
Huh thanks for the clarification, I can see why people want drm free but at the same time it doesn't bother me I guess, as long as I can keep playing the game.
---
Nintendo Network/PSN: Desertking24/Steam:Desertking23
Currently playing: Ultima 2 (PC)/Yugioh wc 2011 (DS)
#5CircleOfManiasPosted 7/12/2014 7:19:30 AM
Steam's DRM isn't required. A lot of indie developers choose not to use it, for example. If a game doesn't use Steam DRM, you can run it directly from its folder without Steam running. If it does, you can't.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park