This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any decent mobas besides dota and lol?

#21SpacewhizguyPosted 7/13/2014 2:35:26 AM(edited)
Heroes of the Storm isn't out yet, but it has some great, early buzz. I'm guessing that that, Dota 2, and LoL will be the most popular MOBAs in the future.

Hanlo_is_back posted...
Smite is really good. HoN is a worse version of DoTA

I have no idea where this completely wrong capitalization of DotA/Dota came from. DoTA just seems completely random, yet so many people write it like that. Even DoTa would make more sense.
---
What's a sig?
#22Hanlo_is_backPosted 7/13/2014 6:46:26 AM
Spacewhizguy posted...

Hanlo_is_back posted...

I have no idea where this completely wrong capitalization of DotA/Dota came from. DoTA just seems completely random, yet so many people write it like that. Even DoTa would make more sense.

It's common practice with acronyms to not capitalize certain words. If you'll look, I did the same with HoN.
---
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum
#23Zeusty(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 7:01:16 AM
Hanlo_is_back posted...
Spacewhizguy posted...

Hanlo_is_back posted...

It's common practice with acronyms to not capitalize certain words. If you'll look, I did the same with HoN.

He is right, you don't capitalize the. It's DotA not DoTA.
#24Hanlo_is_backPosted 7/13/2014 7:15:02 AM
Oh, whoops
---
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum
#25ThePonyColliePosted 7/13/2014 7:43:20 AM
What about Dead Island Epidemic?
---
No Steam, no buy.
#26GunmaN1905Posted 7/13/2014 7:52:14 AM
Zeusty posted...
Hanlo_is_back posted...
Spacewhizguy posted...

Hanlo_is_back posted...

He is right, you don't capitalize the. It's DotA not DoTA.

Actually it's neither one now.
When dota was wc3 map it was:
Defense of the Ancients, therefore DotA.

And now when it's under valve, it's just Dota 2 since blizzard claimed copyright to the original name. <.<
#27RosencroitzPosted 7/13/2014 8:00:13 AM
>Good
>MOBA

Pick one.
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#28machetemanPosted 7/13/2014 8:21:43 AM
Rosencroitz posted...
>Good
>MOBA

Pick one.

i believe this is the improper use of this
#29blade6321Posted 7/13/2014 8:22:47 AM
Rosencroitz posted...
>Good
>MOBA

Pick one.

eb1n meme arrows reddit man :')
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
Whose eyes are those eyes?
#30SpacewhizguyPosted 7/13/2014 1:15:55 PM(edited)
GunmaN1905 posted...
And now when it's under valve, it's just Dota 2 since blizzard claimed copyright to the original name. <.<

A lot of factually incorrect information in this single line:

1) The game is called Dota 2, but you can still refer to the series/brand as just Dota. The name has become big enough to stand alone.

2) Valve owns the trademark to the Dota name, not Blizzard.

3) Blizzard never tried to claim copyright over Dota. They did contest Valve's trademark application for the name. Even if Blizzard had won, Valve would likely have still been able to use the name since Blizzard's protest over Valve's trademark application (i.e., Blizzard didn't claim the trademark but wanted to prevent Valve from monopolizing it) was more of a defensive measure to ensure that the Dota name remained open to the community.

4) Had Blizzard gotten the "Dota" trademark and exercised their rights, simply adding a "2" in "Dota 2" would still be a very clear trademark infringement.
---
What's a sig?