This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats happening with Crytek is a perfect example of what happens...

#101AskeladdPosted 7/13/2014 12:49:45 PM(edited)
50inchDLP posted...
Askeladd posted...
While abandoning your core fan-base is rarely advisable, I am pretty sure Crytek went under because all of its recent releases were commercial flops, mostly due to the games being lackluster.

The point of this topic flew over your head. They were flops because they were console games. If they stuck to the PC exclusive they would have raked in the bread and been rich.

No, I understood your point. My point was that you are wrong. Games virtually always sell more units for consoles than PC. The reason Crytek went under was because they released several flops in succession, not because they betrayed the PC market. Crysis 2 and 3, Warface and Ryse just were not good enough games. Crysis was one of the most pirated PC games, anyway.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#102Orestes417Posted 7/13/2014 12:51:27 PM(edited)
Long after it was relevant. The Crysis console port was a joke from day one.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#103ReloadPsiPosted 7/13/2014 12:53:07 PM
Crytek pretty much personify the tragedy of having a good idea and implementing it poorly.
---
Kids, there's nothing wrong with admitting something you like isn't good. It's called manning up and being able to admit you don't always have the best taste.
#104SilentHawk29Posted 7/13/2014 12:58:07 PM
DiviDude posted...
Deus Ex is one of the all time great games with lousy graphics.

Crysis is a mediocre-to-good game with great graphics.

That they both have an "open playstyle" (which I would hardly call similar in any case) is not really the issue.

What makes Crysis a mediocre game? And how is the gameplay not similar? Both games give you the freedom to tackle any obstacle you're faced with however you want to.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#105Orestes417Posted 7/13/2014 1:02:48 PM
What makes Crysis a mediocre game is the crap pacing, the bugs, and the fact it completely falls apart after you run out of Koreans to kill.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#106SilentHawk29Posted 7/13/2014 1:08:49 PM
What about Crysis Warhead then?
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#107Orestes417Posted 7/13/2014 1:13:10 PM
Better in all respects aside from length. Good but not great.
---
#108DiviDudePosted 7/13/2014 1:35:21 PM(edited)
SilentHawk29 posted...
DiviDude posted...
Deus Ex is one of the all time great games with lousy graphics.

Crysis is a mediocre-to-good game with great graphics.

That they both have an "open playstyle" (which I would hardly call similar in any case) is not really the issue.

What makes Crysis a mediocre game? And how is the gameplay not similar? Both games give you the freedom to tackle any obstacle you're faced with however you want to.

I think Orestes handled the mediocre explanation well enough.

In terms of playstyle, the biggest difference I'd say is that Crysis takes a purely action approach, whereas Deus Ex takes more of an RPG approach. Like this video someone posted earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y5KiJt9oxg#t=91

I'm pretty sure no one has ever played Deus Ex like that ever. (Not even sure it's possible, movement can be clunky.) Even if one takes the action approach in Deus Ex, it's still a much slower paced game that doesn't necessarily emphasize killing things. Crysis on the other hand shines when it comes to killing (especially the Koreans, as noted.)

I'd even go so far as to say that the suit powers and upgrades in Crysis are there mainly to facilitate killing dudes. Stealth is mostly there so you can sneak in and kill eloquently. Whereas in Deus Ex, many of the skills are to avoid killing. Hacking and lockpicking are there to sneak past confrontation entirely. For instance, you can play through Deus Ex having killed only one person (and if you do it right, you can get that person to kill themselves!) Has anyone ever played through Crysis without killing anyone? I doubt it, because that's most of what makes Crysis fun and it pretty much the point of the game.

tl;dr Crysis has an open playstyle as far as how you want to kill dudes, whereas Deus Ex has an open playstyle in general.
#109deadlysin24Posted 7/13/2014 1:37:05 PM
What probably killed Crytek is that they were making Ryse as a kinect only gladiator game for 360 and it was announced at e3 2010. Crytek decided to wait and re work the game as a X1 exclusive with kinect support and with the cost of the extra development and the game not performing as well as they hoped, they are now strapped for cash.
---
PSN The_Mauler83 XBL Deadlysin
#110Orestes417Posted 7/13/2014 1:42:06 PM
What killed Crytek is management with the business savvy of an inebriated gerbil. They made a series of increasingly poor decisions and tried to blame it on external factors. Hell I actually almost believe they may truly think their excuses are what happened. It certainly goes a long way to explaining why they didn't wise up.
---