This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats happening with Crytek is a perfect example of what happens...

#121Stutz0Posted 7/13/2014 11:54:25 PM(edited)
Askeladd posted...
50inchDLP posted...
Askeladd posted...
While abandoning your core fan-base is rarely advisable, I am pretty sure Crytek went under because all of its recent releases were commercial flops, mostly due to the games being lackluster.

The point of this topic flew over your head. They were flops because they were console games. If they stuck to the PC exclusive they would have raked in the bread and been rich.

No, I understood your point. My point was that you are wrong. Games virtually always sell more units for consoles than PC. The reason Crytek went under was because they released several flops in succession, not because they betrayed the PC market. Crysis 2 and 3, Warface and Ryse just were not good enough games. Crysis was one of the most pirated PC games, anyway.

Crysis 2 and 3 were not good enough games because they were made with consoles in mind.

Also, a pirated copy does not equate to a lost sale. It especially made sense that Crysis was pirated a lot since it was such a demanding game that people wanted to see if it would even run on their rig before shelling out money.
#122AskeladdPosted 7/13/2014 11:53:39 PM
Stutz0 posted...
Askeladd posted...
50inchDLP posted...
Askeladd posted...
While abandoning your core fan-base is rarely advisable, I am pretty sure Crytek went under because all of its recent releases were commercial flops, mostly due to the games being lackluster.

The point of this topic flew over your head. They were flops because they were console games. If they stuck to the PC exclusive they would have raked in the bread and been rich.

No, I understood your point. My point was that you are wrong. Games virtually always sell more units for consoles than PC. The reason Crytek went under was because they released several flops in succession, not because they betrayed the PC market. Crysis 2 and 3, Warface and Ryse just were not good enough games. Crysis was one of the most pirated PC games, anyway.

Crysis 2 and 3 were not good enough games because they were made with consoles in mind.

That is ridiculous and illogical. Lots of good games are made for consoles. Lots of bad games are made on PC. Crysis 2 and 3 didn't sell enough units because they weren't good enough to get enough people to buy them on any platform. Even with PC versions being dumbed down, that wouldn't explain why console gamers wouldn't buy them.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#123akuma634Posted 7/13/2014 11:56:02 PM
50inchDLP posted...
When you abandon your fanbase that put you famous

How about no. It's business, s*** happens. A small minority of fans can't keep a major business going strong.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#124Stutz0Posted 7/14/2014 12:13:03 AM
Askeladd posted...
Stutz0 posted...
Askeladd posted...
50inchDLP posted...
Askeladd posted...

That is ridiculous and illogical. Lots of good games are made for consoles. Lots of bad games are made on PC. Crysis 2 and 3 didn't sell enough units because they weren't good enough to get enough people to buy them on any platform. Even with PC versions being dumbed down, that wouldn't explain why console gamers wouldn't buy them.

Console gamers didn't buy them because they already had Call of Duty and Halo, why would they want a clone of them? And PC gamers didn't buy it because they were basically told to f*** off with how poor the release was and it being an FPS that was designed for consoles.
#125Stutz0Posted 7/14/2014 12:14:26 AM
akuma634 posted...
50inchDLP posted...
When you abandon your fanbase that put you famous

How about no. It's business, s*** happens. A small minority of fans can't keep a major business going strong.

That small minority made them more money than selling out to consoles.
#126AskeladdPosted 7/14/2014 12:26:59 AM
Stutz0 posted...

Console gamers didn't buy them because they already had Call of Duty and Halo, why would they want a clone of them? And PC gamers didn't buy it because they were basically told to f*** off with how poor the release was and it being an FPS that was designed for consoles.

PC gamers also have Call of Duty and plenty of other games to play, many of which are multiplatform. That is an invalid point. All it does is highlight that Crysis wasn't good enough to compete in the over-saturated fps market, which is what I have been saying: Crytek went under because their games weren't good enough. If they were then console gamers would have purchased then.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#127Stutz0Posted 7/14/2014 12:50:10 AM
Askeladd posted...
Stutz0 posted...

PC gamers also have Call of Duty and plenty of other games to play, many of which are multiplatform. That is an invalid point. All it does is highlight that Crysis wasn't good enough to compete in the over-saturated fps market, which is what I have been saying: Crytek went under because their games weren't good enough. If they were then console gamers would have purchased then.

What exactly does PC also having Call of Duty have to do with Crysis 2+3 being console focused FPS games?

The original Crysis was in fact good enough to compete in the FPS market (as shown by it's sales: 3 mil for the game and 1.5 mil for it's expansion is nothing to sneeze at for a new IP, and those numbers are from 2010) since it allowed you a greater degree a freedom compared to the linearity offered in CoD and Halo. The sequels weren't good enough as you said since they were console focused and poor imitations of CoD/Halo, linearity and all, which is a surefire way to have your game ignored and forgotten not even a month later.

Do I need to explain the differences between an FPS with consoles in mind and one that focus' on PC?
#128TheFeshPincePosted 7/14/2014 12:51:28 AM
50inchDLP posted...
fanbase that put you famous.

I like English.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/pqx20bA.jpg | http://youtu.be/HeIkk6Yo0s8
#12950inchDLP(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 1:19:40 AM
TheFeshPince posted...
50inchDLP posted...
fanbase that put you famous.

I like English.

I apologize I was educated in American public schools so English is not my best.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thereal50inchDLP -contains my Dreamcast project of putting HD vids of each US game up.http://bf4stats.com/xone/LouErina
#130Kerr AvonPosted 7/14/2014 7:59:11 AM
50inchDLP posted...
When you abandon your fanbase that put you famous. Crysis was THE PC game when it came out and held the graphics crown for more years than just about any game ever. Crysis what a real testament to us PC gamers as it was clearly made with only the PC in mind and did not have any limits in scope because of that. Us Crysis fans were salivating for a new crysis to see another AMAZING cutting edge PC game that had the open world gameplay that made Crysis so great to play. The they announced Crysis 2 would be on consoles as well.................... that's where they screwed up. because of the switch from PC exclusive to multiplatform limited the scope of the game. Result was Crysis 2 which was the biggest disappointment of the decade. It may take the top spot for a game that degraded soooooo badly going from first game to second game. It became a COD clone instead of the amazing open world and varied gameplay.

I think Crysis 2 is the best of the three. I certainly had more fun playing it than 1 or 3. And calling it the biggest disappointment of the decade makes you seem totally disconnected with the gaming world. What about Duke Nukem Forever, Alien: Colonial Marines, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Resident Evil 5 and 6, Deadspace 3, Watchdogs, etc.
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/