This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats happening with Crytek is a perfect example of what happens...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Whats happening with Crytek is a perfect example of what happens...
1 year ago#71
temgun posted...
Strange that people bash Crysis as a game. It's really solid and I love how it's actually pretty challenging compared to most stuff today, reminds me of Far Cry 1. This is why you actually need to use all the tools you have and think how to approach each situation. I hated that Crysis 2 was so easy, stealth worked way too well and there was only really one way to approach to every situation.

I have it and it's a very solid game, but you'd be deluding yourself if you didn't admit that most of the press/reviews/word of mouth weren't heavily influenced by the graphics. Take the same gameplay/physics and place them in an "average" 2006/2007 graphics engine and I'm confident the game would have quickly been forgotten. The whole "but can it run Crysis?" meme kept the game in the forefront of gamers minds for longer than most other games of the genre.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
1 year ago#72
yes, i agree that the graphics was probably the biggest factor in its success.

but instead of improving both graphics and gameplay for the 2 next games, they went and made the game smaller with less options, more "AAA-focused" with too much scripted crap and barely prettier to look at(3rd game improved on 2 though).

then of course came s*** like warface and ryse.

again, no sympathy whatsoever.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
1 year ago#73
JKatarn posted...
I have it and it's a very solid game, but you'd be deluding yourself if you didn't admit that most of the press/reviews/word of mouth weren't heavily influenced by the graphics. Take the same gameplay/physics and place them in an "average" 2006/2007 graphics engine and I'm confident the game would have quickly been forgotten. The whole "but can it run Crysis?" meme kept the game in the forefront of gamers minds for longer than most other games of the genre

Deus Ex looked like crap when it came out but it wasn't forgotten and has a similar open playstyle.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
1 year ago#74
JKatarn posted...
temgun posted...
Strange that people bash Crysis as a game. It's really solid and I love how it's actually pretty challenging compared to most stuff today, reminds me of Far Cry 1. This is why you actually need to use all the tools you have and think how to approach each situation. I hated that Crysis 2 was so easy, stealth worked way too well and there was only really one way to approach to every situation.

I have it and it's a very solid game, but you'd be deluding yourself if you didn't admit that most of the press/reviews/word of mouth weren't heavily influenced by the graphics. Take the same gameplay/physics and place them in an "average" 2006/2007 graphics engine and I'm confident the game would have quickly been forgotten. The whole "but can it run Crysis?" meme kept the game in the forefront of gamers minds for longer than most other games of the genre.

Of course the big thing were the graphics, but I think the gameplay would hold its own. Besides, Crytek previously made Far Cry 1, which was pretty huge at the time, so I don't think Crysis would have been just forgotten, given Crytek's legacy. Can you give an example of an average 2006/2007 graphics engine? Plenty of pre-2005 games look great even today when modded.
1 year ago#75
Madmax1985 posted...
50inchDLP posted...
All we pc gamers care about is graphics.....
GRAPHICS HURR DURR THE GRAPHIX... YOU SEE DEEZ GRAPHIX? OH YEAH YOU SEE DEEZ GRAPHIX HAHAH GRAPHICS!

Crytek produces tech demos...But piss poor excuses for "Games".

Nothing else needs to be said. Ryse: Son of Rome on Xbox One is a top example. Blew every console game out of the water with the character models and animations, but the game was garbage.
---
"Do not be to eager to deal out death and judgment, for even the very wise cannot see all ends." -Gandalf
1 year ago#76
I've played it on PC, it was fun sure, but the fact that i haven't gone back to it in months show off it's kind of an overrated game.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
1 year ago#77
SilentHawk29 posted...
JKatarn posted...
I have it and it's a very solid game, but you'd be deluding yourself if you didn't admit that most of the press/reviews/word of mouth weren't heavily influenced by the graphics. Take the same gameplay/physics and place them in an "average" 2006/2007 graphics engine and I'm confident the game would have quickly been forgotten. The whole "but can it run Crysis?" meme kept the game in the forefront of gamers minds for longer than most other games of the genre

Deus Ex looked like crap when it came out but it wasn't forgotten and has a similar open playstyle.

Deus Ex is one of the all time great games with lousy graphics.

Crysis is a mediocre-to-good game with great graphics.

That they both have an "open playstyle" (which I would hardly call similar in any case) is not really the issue.
1 year ago#78
crysis was a benchmark game, literally all most people used it for. the truth is that if the series was good the company would have survived, but it wasn't so they failed.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
1 year ago#79
Crysis 1 was a great game, it was basically far cry with nano suit powers. I had lots of fun beating the game on hard, you could take so many approaches to the game. Crysis 2 and 3 were good graphically too but as games they sucked hard because they took away to open world big environment elements to the game. They nerfed the nanosuit to fit the consoles limited buttons, they made environments smaller and the story was super linear and hollywood esque, even the alien designs became generic.

Most people dissing crysis are probably former and/or current console gamers that never played it. There was a huge fanbase for the game and I saw it dwindle severely after crysis 2 dissappointment.
1 year ago#80
Crysis 1 wasn't a great game. It was a great concept with uneven execution. Warhead was much better in that regard.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Whats happening with Crytek is a perfect example of what happens...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived