This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats happening with Crytek is a perfect example of what happens...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Whats happening with Crytek is a perfect example of what happens...
1 year ago#91
Madmax1985 posted...
50inchDLP posted...
All we pc gamers care about is graphics.....
GRAPHICS HURR DURR THE GRAPHIX... YOU SEE DEEZ GRAPHIX? OH YEAH YOU SEE DEEZ GRAPHIX HAHAH GRAPHICS!

Crytek produces tech demos...But piss poor excuses for "Games".

Actually, Far Cry, Crysis, and Warhead are some of the best games on PC.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
1 year ago#92
Madmax1985 posted...
Crytek produces tech demos...But piss poor excuses for "Games".

Their tech demos make for better games than id's tech demos. I mean come on, Rage. After its rocky launch and poor utilization for an actual game I'm surprised they managed to sell it even on an internal basis.

That said I'm actually glad they did. I can take or leave the whole "megatexture" concept and what it does for ballooning game installation sizes, but that engine has some of the absolute balls to the wall best CPU optimization/usage of any engine I've seen. It's fan-f***ing-tastic to finally see games running my CPU at 60%+ on a consistent basis. Aion only achieved that in one or two areas, and prior to id Tech 5 games only Metro 2033 consistently ran my CPU at over 40% output. Even then Metro 2033 only managed 42-44% tops.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
1 year ago#93
It's what happens when you get in bed with giant corporations. They simply DO NOT care about your business.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
1 year ago#94
I don't know if it was EA or Crytek simply being bone headed, but the initial release of Crysis 2 for PC was terrible. "Press start to play". The PC version was clearly rushed out there door. Six months later, the hi-res patch released, but by then... meh. It does look good though.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
1 year ago#95
50inchDLP posted...
Back in 2008 when i talked about PC gaming and Crysis people had no clue about PC gaming but knew about "Crysis". by the time Crysis 3 came out i know more people with gaming PC than consoles. The tides turned and Crytek got off PC just in time to miss the money train IMO.

The operative word there is "I", If you happen to really enjoy PC gaming chances are you're going to have/make friends that are PC gamers as well, that doesn't mean that the mass market isn't comprised of overwhelmingly mobile/console gamers.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
1 year ago#96
DiviDude posted...
SilentHawk29 posted...
JKatarn posted...
I have it and it's a very solid game, but you'd be deluding yourself if you didn't admit that most of the press/reviews/word of mouth weren't heavily influenced by the graphics. Take the same gameplay/physics and place them in an "average" 2006/2007 graphics engine and I'm confident the game would have quickly been forgotten. The whole "but can it run Crysis?" meme kept the game in the forefront of gamers minds for longer than most other games of the genre

Deus Ex looked like crap when it came out but it wasn't forgotten and has a similar open playstyle.

Deus Ex is one of the all time great games with lousy graphics.

Crysis is a mediocre-to-good game with great graphics.

That they both have an "open playstyle" (which I would hardly call similar in any case) is not really the issue.

Actually, I recall being fairly impressed by the graphics overall, sure they weren't cutting edge at the time (2000), but that likely has to do with them licensing the Unreal engine when it was new, and then the game taking a few years to develop, by which time it was bound to look somewhat dated. When you consider that the big FPS titles/engines around the time were Quake III, Unreal Tournament etc. it's not like Deus-Ex was really trailing graphically.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
1 year ago#97
Lmao, people still make the " Crysis is benchmark software" joke? What is this, 2008? Hey, hey guys, the cake is a lie XD
---
"one simply doesn't play a naughty dog game." - ServantOfErieos
Pccouchcoop.com http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
1 year ago#98
TrueGB posted...
Crytek blames piracy, of course:

Cevat Yerli: It is certainly. We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin, a chart leading that is not desirable. I believe thatís the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy. To the degree PC Gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. It was a big lesson for us and I believe we wont have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore.

http://www.pcplay.hr/modules.php?r=23&id=15

Yeah, the only "similar games" to outsell Crysis 4 or 5 times over that were released in 2007? Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4. Crysis was never going to sell that many copies, regardless of going multiplatform. And it didn't, after they did.

It sold fine, I'd wager probably better than its ACTUAL similar contemporaries like FEAR, STALKER, and Unreal Tournament 3 (though I have got no real basis for this, except UT3 which sold a similar amount despite being multiplatform). They just assumed that because these certain other companies were selling a record breaking number of games meant that they should have sold a similar amount. Companies with much stronger IPs than Crysis still struggle selling 4 to 5 times as many copies as Crysis did, even after the potential audience has been growing for years. Apparently their sales expectations were ridiculous, and them calling the entire platform out as being weak on account of piracy was equally ridiculous-- the platform certainly hasn't limped off into obscurity yet, though piracy has apparently been driving it that way for the two decades I've been on it. Crytek, on the other hand? We'll see.
1 year ago#99
TC first figure out what "PC" stood for in 2008.
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
1 year ago#100
Wasn't crysis 1 ported to ps3 and 360
---
PSN: TJT13. If you request me tell me where you found my ID
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Whats happening with Crytek is a perfect example of what happens...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived