This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any good procedurally2d rpg's?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any good procedurally2d rpg's?
1 year ago#1
2d rpgs with procedurally generated content to make it last longer? My main platform for gaming is PS4 but I have to wait untill games like Chasm come out, which is exactly the kind of game I want to play, but i'm saving that one for ps4.
Anyone has some good recommendations? Preferably good pixel art and a lot of content.
I love this whole uprising of random content games, I never really played stuff like that before.
---
But what about the postman that walked backwards in the beginning of the film...?
1 year ago#2
Good entry-level stuff;

Rogue Legacy
Dungeons of Dredmor
Sword of the Stars: The Pit
One Way Heroics

Once you are looking for more freedom and a challenge, try:

IVAN
Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
1 year ago#3
Terraria maybe.
---
Asus P8H61-MLE/BR | i5 3470 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3TEC 500Rve 500W Bronze | Samsung 32" LCD 1080p.
1 year ago#4
Thanx guys. Will look into them, hope it will keep me busy the coming month =) !
---
But what about the postman that walked backwards in the beginning of the film...?
1 year ago#5
Diablo.

No, seriously, it's as 2D as they come. You only move along x/y coordinates with no up/down/above/underneath on the maps. Sstairs to different levels don't count.

Diablo 2 is very similar to this as well. It looks more 3D, especially with the 3D bias option enabled and better map design, but it's still as 2D as they come in terms of actual movement and combat.

There really is no functional difference between the first two Diablo games and Sword of the Stars: The Pit in this regard.

If you want side-scrolling 2D games, however, Dungeons of Dredmor and Terraria are fun. The A Valley Without Wind games are also fairly well liked as well. One Way Heroics is quite fun too. For sci-fi oriented Terraria/Minecraft "clones" there are Starbound and Darkout at the least. Starbound is, I believe, also fairly well liked despite being early alpha, but as I understand it Darkout's support is waning so you might want to avoid that one. Darkout also has one fairly major strike against it; you can't customize your controls. I had to use AutoHotkey to customize the controls for Darkout, and that in turn actually interferes with me playing with Space Pirates & Zombies (& Bounty Hunters).

Speaking of... Space Pirates & Zombies isn't exactly an RPG, but it is good, clean fun, and if you like that but want a bit more RPG to your game there's Drox Operative by Soldak Entertainment. Its kinda like a real-time, space-based version of a game like Pit.

Soldak also offers a few other games, but Din's Curse is the only one of them I've played. It's in pretty much the same position as the Diablo titles in that despite the 3D graphics combat and movement are all in two dimensions. It's a fun game though, and with the character customization options allowing you to pick one of multiple classes with three advancement/skill trees or make your own custom class by picking two trees from any of the other classes it can allow for some fairly nice replay value.

Bear in mind that yes, I'm aware that Diablo, Diablo 2, Din's Curse, and related titles aren't quite what people think when "2D" is mentioned, but when all your movement, with regards to combat options, takes place along two dimensions they're just as 2D as Mega Man. You just have a funky camera angle. That said, however, with the 3D graphics Din's Curse might be pushing it no matter how two dimensional the combat is.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any good procedurally2d rpg's?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived