This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I think Divinity Original Sin proves something very important...

#1leon_trunksPosted 7/13/2014 12:13:11 PM
...that there is an unseen line that can be crossed in terms of popularity where more praise begins to act against the merits of the game.

I have not played the game yet but I certainly will when I have enough money and time. But I feel its important to address this very peculiar phenomenon where justifiably good games get hated on because people think the majority's pick is always a mediocre game with a good ad campaign.

Discuss.
#2MortalDangerPosted 7/13/2014 12:22:20 PM
Uh...well, no. They get hated on because they are mediocre games with nothing more than good ad campaigns.
---
God Bless America.
#3machetemanPosted 7/13/2014 12:58:47 PM
MortalDanger posted...
Uh...well, no. They get hated on because they are mediocre games with nothing more than good ad campaigns.

Not according to critics. Look back at professional reviews for a lot of AAA games and you will find that many of the ones that fans pan, are actually critically acclaimed or praised.

Now this isn't true for EVERY game, but there certainly has been a pattern of fans hating on decent games because they either didn't live up to ridiculous expectations, or did one thing "wrong" and somehow makes the entire game terrible....
#4Treason686Posted 7/13/2014 1:03:59 PM(edited)
You're confusing the voices of the vocal minority with popular opinion.

There are also people who hate anything popular simply because it's popular.

I could say Skyrim was an amazing game, then others will debate opinions and spew "facts" about why it sucks; it's mainstream; it's dumbed down; there isn't shoulder armor; etc.
---
I <3 segfault
#5jessica73Posted 7/13/2014 1:09:14 PM
Yet, the simplification of armor was a complaint in Oblibion too, along with the others like magic nerfing and some skills being eliminated, and they were all very real complaints... just less so next to the real issues like the scaling being garbage.
---
http://i.imgur.com/uAzPe.jpg http://steamsigmaker.de/bg/thebotqueen.png
http://raptr.com/badge/thebotqueen/ach.png
#6clowningPosted 7/13/2014 1:13:27 PM
D:OS is a niche game that appeals to a small number of players. These people are just incredibly excited and make a lot of noise. Because they make so much noise, the bulk of players who would simply ignore the game, are going to express their hatred/dislike.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#7leon_trunks(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 1:27:30 PM
clowning posted...
D:OS is a niche game that appeals to a small number of players. These people are just incredibly excited and make a lot of noise. Because they make so much noise, the bulk of players who would simply ignore the game, are going to express their hatred/dislike.

Now I get it. Thanks
#8kelemvorPosted 7/13/2014 5:38:51 PM
clowning posted...

RPGs are niche games now?
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#9ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/13/2014 5:41:39 PM
leon_trunks posted...
...that there is an unseen line that can be crossed in terms of popularity where more praise begins to act against the merits of the game.

I have not played the game yet but I certainly will when I have enough money and time. But I feel its important to address this very peculiar phenomenon where justifiably good games get hated on because people think the majority's pick is always a mediocre game with a good ad campaign.

Discuss.

Some people get pissy on GFAQS, and so you have to make this thread?

How about get the hell over it.
#10AnimorganimatePosted 7/13/2014 6:13:15 PM
kelemvor posted...
clowning posted...

RPGs are niche games now?

lol . . . right? On a PC gaming board, no less.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.